Moving a member into different Ward - outside boundaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brandontysonmoss

Moving a member into different Ward - outside boundaries

Postby brandontysonmoss » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

We have a member in the geographic boundaries of our ward but due to a divorce of their spouse who also lives in the ward has been given special permission by both bishops and the stake to attend and be a member of a neighboring ward. I wanted to see if anyone knew how I could move this member's record to be a part of the other ward but still maintain their address as their current one so that people will be able to see and use the accurate address when looking it up in LDS tools..

Thanks in advance,

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Moving a member into different Ward - outside boundaries

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:26 pm

brandontysonmoss wrote:We have a member in the geographic boundaries of our ward but due to a divorce of their spouse who also lives in the ward has been given special permission by both bishops and the stake to attend and be a member of a neighboring ward.

Hopefully, he has the permission of the First Presidency as well. (See Handbook 1: 13.6, second paragraph.)

brandontysonmoss wrote:I wanted to see if anyone knew how I could move this member's record to be a part of the other ward but still maintain their address as their current one so that people will be able to see and use the accurate address when looking it up in LDS tools.

That used to be easy, but with the updated LCR, it might not let you do that. Is there a way to override the provided list - perhaps by entering a unit number? Worst comes to worse, you can probably send the member to the other unit without an address, and that unit can update it. (To be nice, you should let them know ahead of time.)

A possible alternative is the boundary realignment tool. At least it used to allow you to select people to move to a new unit.

With everything moving to LCR, my information is quickly getting out of date. :(
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:32 pm

If nothing else the new ward can request her records. They just need to make sure to only request the specific records that are moving and not the entire household.

smellyj

Postby smellyj » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:25 pm

I have information regarding the location of someone who use to be in our ward but moved out . How do I get that information to the right place?

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:55 pm

smellyj wrote:I have information regarding the location of someone who use to be in our ward but moved out . How do I get that information to the right place?

If you know the member's address, you can use the LDS.org Maps tool to find the name of their ward. Then you can look up that ward on CDOL.LDS.org to get contact information for the clerk, who can request his records.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

Return to “Membership Help”