Membership record for new converts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Membership record for new converts

Post by drepouille »

We baptized a young man ( not a child of record) on November 20th, and as of December 13th, I still don't see a membership record for him in LCR. He has been confirmed, ordained, and issued a limited use temple recommend for baptisms, but still no membership record.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Re: Membership record for new converts

Post by Biggles »

This is a function of the Mission office. The missionaries should have by now given the paperwork prepared for the baptism/confirmation to the Mission office to be entered into their system that generates the membership record.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Our young convert was baptized on November 20th, confirmed on November 22nd, and ordained a Teacher on November 29th (I think). The missionaries waited until today (December 18th, transfer day) to take the paperwork to the mission office. The office assistant there just assured me that our young man will be an official member of the Church this afternoon.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

As a ward clerk, I meet with the full-time missionaries directly after the Sacrament meeting where the confirmation takes place and review with them the baptism and confirmation record to make sure that it is correctly and completely filled in, including the ward and stake unit numbers. They give me one of the copies (per the instructions on the form) and I make the missionaries promise to mail the form to the mission office that day or the next day.
If we haven't received the new membership record in LCR/MLS by the next Sunday then I follow up with the missionaries. If I don't have the membership after two weeks, then I contact the mission office directly.

After receiving the membership record, I print the certificate of Baptism and Confirmation, and an Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS) and give both to the new member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rontilby wrote:I meet with the full-time missionaries directly after the Sacrament meeting where the confirmation takes place
I remember doing something quite similar. I sometimes had to remind them that it wasn't recorded in heaven if it wasn't recorded on earth. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The funny thing is, these elders wanted the bishop to sign the paperwork on Saturday (after the baptism and before the confirmation). When the bishop refused to sign the paperwork prior to the confirmation, I guess the elders just carried the papers around for a few weeks. Full disclosure -- the elders only attend our ward meetings every other Sunday, and I don't remember if they actually attended the Sacrament meeting when the confirmation was performed.

Return to “Membership Help”