Sealings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rachroyer15

Sealings

Post by rachroyer15 »

I have some questions about sealings. I joined the church almost a year ago. I have been trying to prepare myself for the temple. I have a daughter who legally has no father. I married earlier this year and my husband is "dad", but has not legally adopted as to not put our family in danger of the biological dad knowing of our whereabouts. I am wanting to get my daughter sealed to us. My husband, who grew up in the church, informed me that he can only be sealed to her if he is adopts her. My thought was then, that I would get her sealed to just me. He then told me that I could not just get her sealed to me, that it would have to be to me and her father, which is definitely not something to pursue. What are my options on having my daughter sealed to me?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sealings

Post by russellhltn »

There really are no options. Either he legally adopts her, of you have to wait for your first husband to die before you have any other option. Sealing to one parent is not allowed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

It would be best to discuss your questions with your bishop. It is not always necessary for adoption when sealing to a natural parent and a step parent but doing it without the involvement of the natural father may not be possible. But your bishop has access to all of the policies listed in the handbook and can get additional information from your stake president and the temple president about any possible exceptions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:It is not always necessary for adoption when sealing to a natural parent and a step parent but doing it without the involvement of the natural father may not be possible.
I stand corrected. There does seem to be some options in this area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I attended a sealing (about 15 years ago, so who knows if policies have changed?) in which the couple was married and sealed simultaneously and then the wife's children from a previous marriage were sealed to the new couple moments later. In other words, there was no legal adoption. But there was consent from the previous husband. But, yes, talk to the Bishop about it.

Return to “Membership Help”