Sealed to prior spouse: Yes how do I change this?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dreeseh

Sealed to prior spouse: Yes how do I change this?

Post by dreeseh »

We have a sister who was sealed to a prior spouse, but has since divorced and the spouse has remarried and been sealed to the new spouse. This good sister wrote to the First Presidency to allow the former spouse to be sealed. The question she, and we, have is this:

On her IOS is the question: Sealed to prior spouse? Yes

Does this question reflect an occurrence in the past, or a current status? The question itself is ambiguous and we could use some clarification. If it is current status, how does this good sister change that status to reflect no? If it refers to an occurrence, perhaps the question can be asked in a clearer manner. e.g., Sealing to prior spouse occurred? Or maybe Currently sealed to prior spouse? But Sealed to prior spouse? can be answered either way in this case.

Thank you .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sealed to prior spouse: Yes how do I change this?

Post by russellhltn »

The status indicates she is sealed to A prior spouse. And nothing you've said indicate differently. Men can be sealed to more than one sister. They just can't be married to more than one. ;)

Unless her sealing was cancelled, it's still in effect. It didn't have to be cancelled for her former spouse to remarry.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”