How to add a non member spouse to a houshold

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffreycbierman

How to add a non member spouse to a houshold

Post by jeffreycbierman »

I have been asked to add a nonmember wife to the husband (head of household) .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to add a non member spouse to a houshold

Post by russellhltn »

"Add" how? As long as the marriage is properly recorded, it may appear in the Directory. Maybe the LDS Tools, (I can't remember). If she's not appearing, then you need to contact local unit support to make it appear. There's nothing else you can do.

Note that the ability to create non-member records have been removed. So she's not going to show up in LCR or any reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

What you can do is limited. The only thing you can really do is to add the non-member wife to the husbands membership record. In MLS, select Membership > Ordinances > Record Civil Marriage. Select the husband and then enter the information on the spouse and the marriage then click Close and then Save. Then do a send/receive.

Note that this will not make the wife show up on membership reports, ward directories or class lists printed from MLS or LCR. However, the wife should show up in the Directory on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A little more detail. Read the response to "How can I remove my ex-spouse from my household listing?" What you want to do is the opposite of that: "un-suppress" the record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Will this change (no nonmember records) make it impossible to create lists of part-member families using MLS custom reports? The part-member family custom report has always depended on marriages to nonmembers being recorded on membership records, but I forget the query parameters.

The North American Central Initiative (Hastening the Work) asks us to count part-member families, prospective elders, and unbaptized children over age 9, and how many of each group we contacted during each month.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

drepouille wrote:Will this change (no nonmember records) make it impossible to create lists of part-member families using MLS custom reports? The part-member family custom report has always depended on marriages to nonmembers being recorded on membership records, but I forget the query parameters.

The North American Central Initiative (Hastening the Work) asks us to count part-member families, prospective elders, and unbaptized children over age 9, and how many of each group we contacted during each month.
I don't think it should affect that at all. The criteria available in Custom Reports is Member Status != Spouse is Member. That should only depend on having the marriage recorded property on the member's record and that works just like it always has.

Return to “Membership Help”