Removing a nonmember spouse without a divorce.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
richardafisher3

Removing a nonmember spouse without a divorce.

Post by richardafisher3 »

I have a newly baptized Sister in my ward who is going through a divorce. Her husbands name appears on he membership record as her spouse even though he lives on the other side of the country. She was told by the missionaries that because they were still married she had to put his name down on her membership record for baptism. She really wants his name taken off and is very unhappy that it is there. Is there a way to remove his name with out the official Divorce? Can I terminate marriage and give the reason as "unkown"?

Bishop Richard Fisher
eblood66

Re: Removing a nonmember spouse without a divorce.

Post by eblood66 »

Is the problem really that he is listed on her membership record or is the problem that he shows up in the online Directory and in LDS Tools? If the problem is the latter then you can suppress that by contacting Local Unit Support (see this post for information on that).

The marriage should remain on the record until the divorce is final but I wouldn't think that would be that much of an issue if the marriage is suppressed in the Directory. The only time she would see the marriage otherwise is when she's given an IOS and then only until the divorce is final.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Removing a nonmember spouse without a divorce.

Post by russellhltn »

richardafisher3 wrote:Is there a way to remove his name with out the official Divorce?
The records need to be accurate and match her legal status.

But the name of a non-member spouse can be suppressed so it doesn't appear to the general membership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”