Transferring members from membership list to House list

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Michaeljefferyjones

Transferring members from membership list to House list

Post by Michaeljefferyjones »

Our HPGL has asked for the following advise,can anyone help please. "I have come across the following members that are not listed on either my Households List or my Companionship Lists"

"Is it possible to transfer these names from the Ward Membership Lists to my Households List"

I am fairly new to the calling of Ward Clerk so any help is appreciated.
davesudweeks

Re: Transferring members from membership list to House list

Post by davesudweeks »

I was just released as HPGL and suspect he is speaking about Home Teaching. I noticed that I could not view or see Home Teaching assignments or members covered by the Elder's Quorum in the Home Teaching view. In order to assign a family to be home taught by a High Priest, the EQP had to first remove them as a family from their Home Teaching assignments before they became visible to the HPGL. I put in a feedback because in our Ward it is not uncommon for Elders to Home Teach High Priest families and vice-versa. The current design prevents either organization from properly shepherding their members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Households with a Elder as Head of House will show up in the EQ's Unassigned list. They will NOT show up on the HP's Unassigned list.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

But Households with an Elder as the Head of House will show up in HP Home Teaching if they were already being HT by a HP Companionship in MLS when LCR HT when live. Conversely, Households with a HP as the Head of House will NOT be visible at all to the HPGL if they were being Home Taught by an EQ companionship in MLS when LCR HT went live. I assume that if removed from the assignment they jump back based on the rules that are listed above.

There is no way for an EQP or HPGL to know the home teaching status of their respective members who are being Home Taught by another Quorum without having the other Quorum or the Bishop look up that information for them.

Also, there is no way for the HPGL or the EQP to pick up a specific family for HT under the direction of the Bishop if the family is not already in their organization. I assume someone in the Bishopric will have to go in and make that assignment.
Last edited by davesudweeks on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

davesudweeks wrote:There is no way for an EQP or HPGL to know the home teaching status of their respective members who are being Home Taught by another Quorum without having the other Quorum or the Bishop look up that information for them.
Home/visiting teaching assignment information (both assigned families and assigned home teachers) is available on the member profile page in LCR.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Thanks for the information scgallafent, there are two scenarios that this gets in the way of.
1. A HPGL or EQP wants to check to make sure all their quorum members are being Home Taught. Some are being Home Taught by the other Quorum (in my experience this is very common outside of Utah and Idaho) so there is no way to look up their HT History. Yes, they can look up each Quorum Member by name to see who is not on their current list and then request a report from the other organization on HT Status for those specific families, but that seems like a step backwards, and will drive more personal information being sent back and forth via e-mail.
2. An Elder is struggling and the Bishop wants his family Home Taught by the HP Group (we have several of these in our ward). It used to be the Bishop brought it up during Ward Council or PEC or a private interview, the specific Home Teacher was discussed and approved, and the change was made by the HP Secretary. Now the Bishop has to go in and make the change - that doesn't seem like a good way to reduce the workload on the Bishop.

Hopefully as the system matures these issues will be worked out.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davesudweeks wrote:Also, there is no way for the HPGL or the EQP to pick up a specific family for HT under the direction of the Bishop if the family is not already in their organization.
To assign a household from one quorum to the other quorum requires the household to be removed from being home taught by their current home teaching companionship. This puts them in an unassigned status. Either quorum can then assign home teachers to that household.

The quorum that is not the default for the head of household will not show the household on their unassigned household list. Instead of trying to select the unlisted household from the unassigned list the household name must be manually typed in. Any unassigned household, to include any unassigned single sister or unassigned single prospective elder, can be assigned to be home taught by manually typing in the name.
davesudweeks wrote:An Elder is struggling and the Bishop wants his family Home Taught by the HP Group (we have several of these in our ward). It used to be the Bishop brought it up during Ward Council or PEC or a private interview, the specific Home Teacher was discussed and approved, and the change was made by the HP Secretary. Now the Bishop has to go in and make the change - that doesn't seem like a good way to reduce the workload on the Bishop.
Follow the steps above and the household can be moved for the purpose of being home taught from one quorum to the other regardless of which quorum is the default for unassigned households.

The procedure above is useful for YSA units where there is no HPG and they need to assign unassigned sisters to be home taught by the Elders Quorum.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

davesudweeks wrote:Now the Bishop has to go in and make the change - that doesn't seem like a good way to reduce the workload on the Bishop.
Make the Ward Clerk do it.

Return to “Membership Help”