Indicating same-sex marriage in MLS?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
skfoley

Indicating same-sex marriage in MLS?

Post by skfoley »

The recent First Presidency communication is clear regarding the church not being involved in the performance or celebration of same gender marriages. It does not speak to whether those member who do so should/can be be listed as married within MLS and upon church records. I have searched these boards in vain for information on this. Does anyone have a pointer to more information?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Indicating same-sex marriage in MLS?

Post by lajackson »

Because the church recognizes marriage "only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as
husband and wife" (The Council of The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 29, 2015), I doubt that MLS and LCR will be changed to be able to record a marriage other than between a man and a woman, as at present.

Based on information in and referenced by the Statement, your bishop will be able to answer your specific question about the need to record marriages in LCR, MLS and on other Church records.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

skfoley, maybe you should talk to your Bishop. :)

BTW, congrats on the wedding this past weekend (totally not related to the question on this board)

We haven't seen a lot of conversation about this on the board and your question is something we'll need to get an answer on at some point. You might run this one up to the Global Support team - membership support. Or, make sure to run it through your Coordinating Committee Area 70.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:Because the church recognizes marriage "only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as
husband and wife" (The Council of The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 29, 2015)
I didn't see the term recognize anywhere in the document, the quote you have above is pulled out of a paragraph about sexual relations and not marriage - Am I being offended by a word? Maybe.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the church recognizes same-sex marriage as legal. But there are still any number of things, like premarital and extramarital sex, that while legal, can still get a member excommunicated. Since I do not believe that same-sex marriage is a step or even a baby step on the road to salvation, the church may not be interested in recording a non-sexual same-sex marriage.

I have not heard of any guidance being handed down. But I do think the Bishop and/or stake president would be a start. They know who they can call if they have questions. I do suspect that in due time we'll hear something as people try to push the edges of what's allowed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ARTEST4ECHO

Post by ARTEST4ECHO »

I know this is a long time pasted thread, but since I was looking for this very answer I will "update" it, for anyone else looking.

While I never found if church headquarters wants it noted at all on the records, I did find that the church updated handbook one, to address Same-sex marriages.

See Handbook 1: 6.7.3 - When a Disciplinary Council Is Mandatory. It references those who are in a same-gender marriage.

So the Bishop should be addressing this issue, not the clerk.

Return to “Membership Help”