Geo codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
forresthickman

Geo codes

Post by forresthickman »

Hi Everyone;

I have a person on our Ward records that is homeless (by choice actually).

we don't even know if he is still in town, or if he left the area.

my question is: under the Geo code list, instead of putting (for example "C-2)is it ok to put "homeless" there instead?

we've left his records in our Ward because his last residence was in our Ward, but no one has seen him around town for like a year.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Geo codes

Post by lajackson »

forresthickman wrote:under the Geo code list, instead of putting (for example "C-2)is it ok to put "homeless" there instead?
A geocode is limited to eight characters or less, so your "word" would work. However, I would not do it. I would use some other code (for example, H-1) instead.

That said, we begin our stake geocodes with a two-letter designator for the ward or branch, allowing up to six more characters for the rest of the geo code. In the case you mention, we would just use the two-letter code for the unit where we think the member is living without being more specific.

And if there is a place where this member regularly spends his nights, that would be the code we would use.

Finally, if we thought he had moved out of the area, we would send his membership record on.
forresthickman

Re: Geo codes

Post by forresthickman »

thank you :-)

Return to “Membership Help”