Add divorce from previous spouse

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jfackerson

Re: Add divorce from previous spouse

Post by jfackerson »

To further clarify, husband was a Non-Member. Seems that because a date of death was entered before date of Divorce, there is "no" "Change Marriage Status" button for me to select.
This has been a good thing; however, because I can use husbands information to help research names of their children, which were not added to her record, They had about 5 children, based on preliminary research. Haven't yet found any evidence that children were "blessed" or had "Membership Records" created for any of them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jfackerson wrote:To further clarify, husband was a Non-Member. Seems that because a date of death was entered before date of Divorce, there is "no" "Change Marriage Status" button for me to select.
Curious. Because I didn't think it was possible to record the death of a non-member. We've always told people who asked to terminate the marriage. Reason: death.

jfackerson wrote:This has been a good thing; however, because I can use husbands information to help research names of their children, which were not added to her record, They had about 5 children, based on preliminary research. Haven't yet found any evidence that children were "blessed" or had "Membership Records" created for any of them.
I wouldn't create records for the children until you've reviewed Handbook 1: 13.6.2 item #4. Permission is required to create a Child of Record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
jfackerson wrote:To further clarify, husband was a Non-Member. Seems that because a date of death was entered before date of Divorce, there is "no" "Change Marriage Status" button for me to select.
Curious. Because I didn't think it was possible to record the death of a non-member. We've always told people who asked to terminate the marriage. Reason: death.
It's actually 'Change Marriage Status' rather than 'Terminate Marriage' now but I expect that's what was done. In LCR, it looks like it continues to show information about deceased spouses at least for members (I can't find a non-member spouse situation in our ward to check). I'm guessing that it does for non-members too.

jfakerson, I'm pretty sure that you'll have to send a message or call local unit support and ask them to record the divorce. At this point, I don't think you can do it yourself.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:In LCR, it looks like it continues to show information about deceased spouses at least for members (I can't find a non-member spouse situation in our ward to check). I'm guessing that it does for non-members too.
I'd kind of expect it to show the spouse they are sealed to. But it would be something new if it showed ex-civil marriage only spouses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:In LCR, it looks like it continues to show information about deceased spouses at least for members (I can't find a non-member spouse situation in our ward to check). I'm guessing that it does for non-members too.
I'd kind of expect it to show the spouse they are sealed to. But it would be something new if it showed ex-civil marriage only spouses.
I have deceased spouses which show a sealing date, don't show a sealing date and which say 'sealed to prior spouse'. So I don't believe is related to whether they are sealed or not.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:I have deceased spouses which show a sealing date, don't show a sealing date and which say 'sealed to prior spouse'. So I don't believe is related to whether they are sealed or not.
The examples I see in our ward show most recent spouse without regard to sealing status.
crm0711

Post by crm0711 »

Can previous marriage records be added to member from CLR or do I need to submit to membership in SLC.? Craig Malzahn, Sacramento 1st Ward Clerk unit 22373
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crm0711 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:25 pm Can previous marriage records be added to member from CLR or do I need to submit to membership in SLC.?
Unless they're a convert, there's a good chance it's already on the records.

Keep in mind that what you see is only what the ward needs to know in order to help the member progress. It's not the full history.

If you want to follow up, I'd call support.

Return to “Membership Help”