Guidelines for Membership in a Language Unit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdraket

Guidelines for Membership in a Language Unit

Post by jdraket »

I've been wondering if there any guidelines as to whom can become members of a language unit? We have a language ward in our stake and the majority of the members of this ward also speak English (with some exceptions; there are members who only speak the non-English language - probably about 15-20% of those that attend) and some members (especially the youth) only speak English. The sacrament meetings are mostly in English as well (missionaries translate through headphones for those that need it). However, the RS meetings are mostly all in the non-English language and some priesthood meetings as well. If I'm an English speaking member of the stake, can I attend this ward if I want to? I haven't seen any such guidelines in HB 1 or 2 that govern membership of language units. Any insight would be helpful.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Guidelines for Membership in a Language Unit

Post by russellhltn »

Language wards are bit problematic. They frequently devolve into "culture" wards. Their purpose is to serve those who do not speak English (I assume we're talking about the US), but the stake needs fully bi-lingual people to lead the ward who can in turn be taught in English by the stake leader. This may explain the lack of a guideline.

While in general, you can attend anywhere you want - you won't be chased out, the ward would have to accept your records before you could be a member of it. Speaking for myself, if you don't speak the language, or not a child living at home of someone who does attend, there's a possibility that you may not be accepted.

If the ward grows large enough that it's size becomes a problem, the stake may step in and start encouraging people to move back to their home ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We have two branches in our stake that operate in a language other than English. They are intended for those who speak that specific language.

They are branches, and from time to time we call English speakers who are bilingual to assist in certain callings in those branches. If you are wishing to attend one of these branches in an effort to maintain your language skills, but otherwise normally speak English, you may wish to let that be known to your priesthood leaders. There may be a need and you may receive a calling.

Otherwise, the purpose of those branches is to provide an opportunity for those who do not speak English to learn the gospel.
jdraket

Post by jdraket »

Thank you both. Your comments fall inline with what I was thinking and what I have heard.

Return to “Membership Help”