Request for Membership record removal...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dbyram

Request for Membership record removal...

Post by dbyram »

Unfortunately, yesterday I was made aware of couple in our ward that would like their names removed from church records. I do not find any guidelines in the church Handbook 2 that addresses this issue. I discussed this with our Ward clerk and he asked me (I'm the assistant ward clerk) to write a letter with pertinent information and have the couple sign it and have two witnesses sign it. Then turn it over to the ward clerk to write the Administrative letter to go to the Bishop. I thought the individual or couple wishing to have names removed from church records had to write the letter. I would like some input as to what the proper process should be. Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Request for Membership record removal...

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1 6:14 has the information you seek.

I personally am not comfortable with writing a letter for them and saying "sign here". I'd let them know what information it needs to contain to go though the process without additional back and forth. (Outlined in the second paragraph and the start of the third.) But I'd make them write it. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any requirement for two witnesses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dbyram

Post by dbyram »

Thank you Russell. My calling does not give me access to Handbook 1...therefore I don't know what that section references nor the guidance it provides. I believe that handbook is for Bishops and Stake leaders only. I do agree that I don't feel comfortable writing a letter for someone else that wishes to have their names removed from church records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dbyram wrote:My calling does not give me access to Handbook 1...
Mmmm. That's odd. Unless "assistant ward clerk" isn't a standard calling, I'd think it would. Does this link work? It shouldn't work if you really don't have access.

If not, then ask the Ward Clerk to review it and work with you on understanding what needs to be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dbyram

Post by dbyram »

Thanks Russell...the link worked. I didn't know that I had access to Handbook 1. I copied the referenced section as you pointed out. Will read it and follow up appropriately. If I have further questions I will consult with the ward clerk and Bishop. Thanks again.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Not sure that it matters, but in my own mind, a Ward Clerk should be doing this. This type of activity should be limited to the least amount of people possible.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree, John. The interface with the members in question is the home teachers and the quorum leader. Once they collect the information and the letter (not a form letter, please), it goes to the bishop and the ward clerk, who should scan and upload the letter to LCR and complete the electronic form.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
dbyram

Post by dbyram »

Thanks you for your replies. I just happen to be their home teacher and my wife is the visiting teacher. I also have the calling of asst. Membership Clerk. Our ward clerk has asked me handle this as he will be tasked with filling out the Administrative document to have the Bishop and the Stake President sign. The Handbook 1 section referenced in an earlier post makes this issue fairly clear cut and I appreciate the feedback from Russell (moderator). I am going to discuss this with the Bishop as I'm sure this matter can be handled in due time.

Return to “Membership Help”