Making Multiple Mariage Changes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cdw3423lds

Making Multiple Mariage Changes

Post by cdw3423lds »

I have an inactive woman in my ward that has no record of ever being married, and have found a Marriage, Divorce and Marriage in public records (in Oklahoma it is very easy to search those records)

What I want to know is should I record all three events? And if I do record all three can do them one after the other and then transmit data in MLS or should I transmit after each change and wait for everything to sync up?

I'm a computer programmer so I am probably over thinking this but want to be sure. To get her records to reflect the current reality, I need to at least record the latest marriage. But it seems to me the history would worth having as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Making Multpul Mariage Changes

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure what the benefit of recording the prior marriage would be. I'm not sure as MLS would even shows prior marriages (except in the case of being sealed to a prior spouse and not sealed to the current one).

But recording the current marriage sounds prudent. If nothing else, it gets her off the YSA/SA rolls.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure what the benefit of recording the prior marriage would be. I'm not sure as MLS would even shows prior marriages (except in the case of being sealed to a prior spouse and not sealed to the current one).
It's possible that information might make it into the Family Search database eventually where it might be useful for future generations. But it's unlikely to be visible during the member's lifetime. But I'm not sure if that would happen or not. It's very possible that CMIS only tracks the current marriage (and any sealing).
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

You should record all three events. If you're concerned about the data entry sequence, you could record the current marriage in MLS and then send the information about the prior marriage and divorce in an MLS message to the GSC and ask them to record it.

Return to “Membership Help”