Non-accountable members

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
RSTeacher

Non-accountable members

Post by RSTeacher »

Is there a code that is used on records to differentiate between 'Not baptized' and 'Not accountable'? Something that would indicate that this is not an individual who was not baptized by a choice or decision but was unable to?
I realize it seems like semantics, but I noticed that my son's records don't indicate this, when the missionaries showed up to teach him. They were so sweet, and I felt bad when they were embarrassed, as my 16 year old who is deaf/blind, g-tube fed, and diapered came crawling around the corner. But we discussed how it would be nice if there was something that indicated this difference, then a mission leader does not have to repeat himself, or forget to tell the missionaries that he can't be taught...I have spoken with other parents who think it would be nice.
What would it take to get a different code created? Not trying to change policy, but I think it might make sense to differentiate...Thank you for your help!
Michael Braga (using wife's log in!)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Non-accountable members

Post by russellhltn »

RSTeacher wrote:Is there a code that is used on records to differentiate between 'Not baptized' and 'Not accountable'?
Yes, there is.

So the question is:
1) Is that recorded on your son's records?
2) And if it is, what report were the missionaries using and does it correctly handle that situation?

Re #1: If the clerk says it's not possible, tell him to look up Handbook 1: 13.6.10

Re #2: MLS has the ability to do custom reports, so this could have been a "home brew" report that didn't consider this situation. If it's something else, then we need to know what report so the error can be reported and fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Re #1: If the clerk says it's not possible, tell him to look up Handbook 1: 13.6.10
Specifically, it's only the Ordinances tab of the Individual Record in MLS. It's very easy to change. The form does indicate that this can only be done at the bishops direction but in my experience bishops consult closely with parents on this and generally follow the feelings of the parents.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

russellhltn wrote:MLS has the ability to do custom reports, so this could have been a "home brew" report that didn't consider this situation
I haven't tested it, but I believe to improve your "home brew" custom reports, add the following "custom report" criteria to your report to check this:
Member status > is > accountable

Of course, if the member record is not correctly reflecting not accountable, this will have no effect.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!

Return to “Membership Help”