New family moved in to area - Tithing payments

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
User avatar
Biggles
Senior Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am
Location: Watford, England

New family moved in to area - Tithing payments

Postby Biggles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:31 am

At the moment this is a hypothetical question, but I would like to be prepared if the scenario plays out! A family, with young children, have just moved into our area. They are not certain if they will join our small branch or go to a larger ward. We do not have their membership details yet. There is some discretion as to where people worship, because of the travelling distances involved. Hence the uncertainty.

My questions are:

1. How would/could Tithing settlements be entered in MLS?
2. Should we request their membership details anyway?

Any advice, as usual, gratefully received.:)

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:46 am

Biggles wrote:At the moment this is a hypothetical question, but I would like to be prepared if the scenario plays out! A family, with young children, have just moved into our area. They are not certain if they will join our small branch or go to a larger ward. We do not have their membership details yet. There is some discretion as to where people worship, because of the travelling distances involved. Hence the uncertainty.

My questions are:

1. How would/could Tithing settlements be entered in MLS?
2. Should we request their membership details anyway?

Any advice, as usual, gratefully received.:)


The branch president should talk to the family and discuss which ward/branch they want to be part of. It is always best to make a firm decision so that the family can feel part of the ward/branch, receive callings, etc. You should not casually request that their membership records be moved into your branch until the priesthood leaders have consulted with the family to make the decision.

Tithing settlement can only be done (and must be done) for all members of the ward/branch as of December 31 of the year. So it is too early to worry about Tithing Settlement. If the family contributes tithing to the ward and the branch, that's okay. The unit that has their records on December 31 will be responsible for tithing settlement, and the other will simply give the year-end donation statements to the family for the donations given to that unit.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20764
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:54 am

Biggles wrote:How would/could Tithing settlements be entered in MLS?



As Alan said, you only declare for those you have membership records for as of Dec 31. If they have made donations to the branch but are not members of the branch as of Dec 31, then you record them as a "out of unit member" (I thing that's the phrase) during tithing settlement. The same as any other visitor or family that has moved out of the branch during the year.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am

RussellHltn wrote:If they have made donations to the branch but are not members of the branch as of Dec 31, then you record them as a "out of unit member" (I thing that's the phrase) during tithing settlement. The same as any other visitor or family that has moved out of the branch during the year.

Those that have made contributions, but are not part of your unit by year's end do not get declared at all. The idea is for them to be declared in only one unit, and that will be the one they reside in (or in Biggles case, the one they choose to join) at year's end. All the others just silently forward their donation information to their new address for tax purposes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
Biggles
Senior Member
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am
Location: Watford, England

Postby Biggles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am

Alan_Brown wrote:The branch president should talk to the family and discuss which ward/branch they want to be part of. It is always best to make a firm decision so that the family can feel part of the ward/branch, receive callings, etc. You should not casually request that their membership records be moved into your branch until the priesthood leaders have consulted with the family to make the decision.

Tithing settlement can only be done (and must be done) for all members of the ward/branch as of December 31 of the year. So it is too early to worry about Tithing Settlement. If the family contributes tithing to the ward and the branch, that's okay. The unit that has their records on December 31 will be responsible for tithing settlement, and the other will simply give the year-end donation statements to the family for the donations given to that unit.


Sorry, my use of the term Tithing settlement was incorrect, I meant the monthly Tithing Offering.

I would not casually request that their membership records be moved to our branch, without their and the priesthood leaders explicit permission.

Paraphrasing my original question. If they wished to pay their tithing, how could/would this be done if we don't have access to their membership records, until such time as they decide which branch/ward they would like to remain in?

RussellHltn wrote:If they have made donations to the branch but are not members of the branch as of Dec 31, then you record them as a "out of unit member" (I thing that's the phrase) during tithing settlement. The same as any other visitor or family that has moved out of the branch during the year.


I think this answers my question!

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 am

Biggles wrote:If they wished to pay their tithing, how could/would this be done if we don't have access to their membership records, until such time as they decide which branch/ward they would like to remain in?

The way it works is you create a donor record for each member of the family that has contributed, then if they decide to join your unit, you can later match their (temporary) donor records to their (permanent) membership records when their records arrive.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20764
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:32 am

Mikerowaved wrote:Those that have made contributions, but are not part of your unit by year's end do not get declared at all.


Don't you mark them as not part of the unit?
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:43 am

RussellHltn wrote:Don't you mark them as not part of the unit?

In the Tithing Declaration Report you mark them as "Not Declared" and in the Notes area you can indicate they moved, or joined another unit.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Don't you mark them as not part of the unit?


Matching donor records to membership records is an urgent task. You will be reminded of it as long as there are records that have not been matched. If they do join your ward, then match them to their membership record. If they don't, then you select the "Member of another unit" option and the urgent task for that member goes away.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:40 pm

RussellHltn wrote:If they have made donations to the branch but are not members of the branch as of Dec 31, then you record them as a "out of unit member" (I thing that's the phrase) during tithing settlement. The same as any other visitor or family that has moved out of the branch during the year.


When you add a donor who is not a member of the unit, you add them as "Member of another unit" (this is not at tithing settlement time, but right when the donor record is added), if they have not yet declared their firm intention to be a member of the unit.

If they later join the unit, you can always change the donor record to be "member of unit" and match them up with their membership record number.


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest