Household contains a name that is unknown to the family

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cloydmcallister

Household contains a name that is unknown to the family

Post by cloydmcallister »

A member of my ward pointed out to me that in his membership record, his family contained the name of a stranger who is not a member of our ward. The information contains the stranger's name, birth date, and email address. I used the email that was with the stranger's name and was able to contact the mother of the stranger. The mother gave me the name of her home ward and the name of the parents of the stranger. I have informed the mother of the problem, but have not asked for her home address out of respect for her privacy. How do I proceed to move that name from the member in my ward to the correct parents? (By the way, the "stranger" is an adult)
Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Household contains a name that is unknown to the family

Post by russellhltn »

Just so I understand this - where are you looking? Is this the MLS/Directory "Household"? Or is this on the individual membership record indicating that this person is a child or parent of one of the members?

Because it contains the name/birth date/email address, it sure sound like you have that record in the ward - it's just somehow grouped with the family when it shouldn't be. Because I don't think you could have those fields any other way. (Unless LCR has some function I don't know about.) Although, it could be listed in both places.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cloydmcallister

Post by cloydmcallister »

When I gave a ward member an IOS, he noticed the "strange" name on it. The "stranger's" birth day and email were on that IOS. On the Member List on my home computer, the "stranger's" name is listed as a child under the husband's household, but not under the wife's household children. When I sent an email to the "stranger's" email address, it turned out to be the email of the "stranger's" mother. She gave me the name of her ward, and the name of her husband because she and he are the parents of the "stranger". I searched for the "stranger" with her name and birthday which is in the Member Information, but there was no match.

The "stranger" is not a member of our ward. Her name is only listed as a child of that member. It is not contained in any other list or report. My grown children are listed under my name, but they are all members of other wards. So this adult "stranger" was somehow incorrectly included in the record of our ward member, instead of her own ward, or the ward of her parents.

I just need to remove the "stranger's" name from the member of our ward's family list!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting. I didn't realize that it gave that much information about people who are not in the ward and only connected.

I'm guessing you're using LCR. I don't have access so I don't know what the options are. But in broad terms, if you don't see a way to edit it in that screen, then see if there's an equivalent of Special Request to send a email off to CHQ about that member.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:But in broad terms, if you don't see a way to edit it in that screen, then see if there's an equivalent of Special Request to send a email off to CHQ about that member.
Unless it's been added recently there isn't any way to send a Special Request in LCR. So it would have to be done in MLS or done by contacting LUS in some other way.

Return to “Membership Help”