Placing a Child for Adoption

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
stvshw

Placing a Child for Adoption

Post by stvshw »

We have a single young lady that ended up placing her child for adoption. This child is a little older, and has already received a name and a blessing, as well as having a membership record created.

I've searched the handbooks, as well as the forum for adoption information, but as far as I could find, they only seem to address situations where the child was adopted to people already in the ward.

What should I do with the membership record of this child?
eblood66

Re: Placing a Child for Adoption

Post by eblood66 »

stvshw wrote:We have a single young lady that ended up placing her child for adoption. This child is a little older, and has already received a name and a blessing, as well as having a membership record created.

I've searched the handbooks, as well as the forum for adoption information, but as far as I could find, they only seem to address situations where the child was adopted to people already in the ward.

What should I do with the membership record of this child?
I don't know of any written instructions or policy for this situation. I think you'll have to call LUS (or send them a message through MLS or use the Special Request option). MLS won't let you cancel the record unless there is a duplicate record or unless the person is 18 years old and unbaptized.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Placing a Child for Adoption

Post by lajackson »

stvshw wrote:What should I do with the membership record of this child?
The record should eventually arrive in the ward where the child will now reside. Local Unit Support can best help with that transfer. The new parents will have documents supporting the adoption so that the child can be added to their records, if they are members.

I wouldn't just send the records. LUS will be able to help to make sure any confidentiality and legal requirements are met. For example, the record should not just be sent if the adopting parents do not know the mother placing the child for adoption, because the current parent(s) would be on the membership record and the IOS.

I also think it would be good for the current bishop to contact the new bishop, whether or not the new parents are members.

Return to “Membership Help”