Listing under old name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
peralph

Listing under old name

Post by peralph »

I have a member in my ward who recently married, but would still like to be found in the ward directory under her previous last name (starts with H). She is, of course, attached to her husband (starts with B) who is the head-of-household. Is there a way to get her listed under H?
eblood66

Re: Listing under old name

Post by eblood66 »

peralph wrote:I have a member in my ward who recently married, but would still like to be found in the ward directory under her previous last name (starts with H). She is, of course, attached to her husband (starts with B) who is the head-of-household. Is there a way to get her listed under H?
Each household is listed only once under the household name. So the only way to list her under H while her husband is listed under B is to put them in different households. That would, of course, have other consequences such as them being listed separately for home teaching.
forresthickman

Post by forresthickman »

What about putting her under "preferred name"? (not sure how that would really work).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

forresthickman wrote:What about putting her under "preferred name"? (not sure how that would really work).
This would not cause her name to appear separately under "H". Instead, she would be found in the household in the "B" listing. Only after selecting the household name starting with "B" would someone be able to see her listed with her preferred name.

Only if she was listed with a preferred name and made a separate household would she appear in the Directory under "H".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the important thing to understand is that the "Household listing" is just that - a listing of households. The households will be listed by whatever has been entered as a "Household name". Individual listings are seen only once the household is selected.

I think what people are wanting is to be listed as individuals. But the directory doesn't support that.

I guess you could say we're a family-centric organization. ;)

Requests to add an individual listing that should be submitted via the Feedback link on the main site. (Not to be confused with the Feedback forum.)

I _think_ if you go into the listing by organizations (or even "Adults"), you'll see the members listed as individuals. Oddly, when I tried to confirm that, I found a number of oddities. I'm not sure if they were all non-members or not. And I did see what looks like a different bug.

So, getting back to the OP, if the sister looks under Relief Society or Adults, she's probably in there under H. (I am assuming that is her legal/preferred name.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”