High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tracypzane
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby tracypzane » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I am the Tech Specialist for my Stake and received a call from a clerk trying to enter a High Priest as an Elders Quorum President. This is a new calling in this ward. Has anyone performed this same type of change, and how? I know that on paper records this would have been easy enough, but software requires a little more exact obedience to what you can put in.
Thanks
Zane

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2485
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Can a high priest be an elders quorum president?

In MLS, it may be possible to go to the high priests organization, find the person's name in the list, and click remove – it will prompt you asking which organization to move the person into. Once the person is listed in the elders quorum organization, he should be able to be added as president.

I say "may be possible" because this works for other organizations, like moving a young woman to Relief Society, but I've never tried moving a high priest to an elders quorum.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby aebrown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm

sbradshaw wrote:Can a high priest be an elders quorum president?

Handbook 2, Section 7.2.1 says: "The stake president calls an elder in each ward to be the elders quorum president."

In the section on adaptation (Section 17.2.3), we read: "...in no case should a single Melchizedek Priesthood quorum be established. As long as there are ordained elders and high priests in a ward, both an elders quorum and a high priests group should be organized."

Putting those two statements together, it seems clear to me that only an elder can be an elders quorum president. But I suppose that if the stake president is aware of these handbook provisions he could reach a different conclusion.

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby drepouille » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 am

Is a Stake Technology Specialist responsible for answering such questions as how to use MLS or LCR to enter calling information?
I know in my stake, the STS is "the computer guy who knows everything about every computer and program."
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby drepouille » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 am

I remember during the 2010 broadcast that introduced the new Handbook 1 and 2, President Monson described exactly this situation. I believe he referred to an article of some sort that talked about a former bishop who had recently been called as Elders Quorum President. He circled that fact in the article, and passed it on for corrective action.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby scgallafent » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

drepouille wrote:I remember during the 2010 broadcast that introduced the new Handbook 1 and 2, President Monson described exactly this situation. I believe he referred to an article of some sort that talked about a former bishop who had recently been called as Elders Quorum President. He circled that fact in the article, and passed it on for corrective action.

I looked through the online transcript of that meeting and don't see what you're describing. Did I miss it somewhere?

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/archive/ ... ng/2010/11

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby scgallafent » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 am

tracypzane wrote:I am the Tech Specialist for my Stake and received a call from a clerk trying to enter a High Priest as an Elders Quorum President. This is a new calling in this ward. Has anyone performed this same type of change, and how? I know that on paper records this would have been easy enough, but software requires a little more exact obedience to what you can put in.

MLS requires that the Elders Quorum President must (1) be male, (2) have been ordained an elder, (3) must be a member of the Church, (4) must be a member of the quorum, and (5) must be at least 16 years old.

The requirement that is tripping you up is probably #4 -- the member to be assigned must be a member of the quorum. The procedure sbradshaw described for moving the member from the high priest group to the elders quorum should solve the issue.

If the member has been ordained a high priest, requirement #2 (have been ordained an elder) is satisfied. The system will allow a priesthood holder who has been ordained an elder, seventy, high priest, or apostle to be assigned as quorum president. I interpret the handbook a little differently than aebrown on whether a high priest can serve as elders quorum president, but neither of us is the stake president in question. :)

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby drepouille » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 am

scgallafent wrote:
drepouille wrote:I remember during the 2010 broadcast that introduced the new Handbook 1 and 2, President Monson described exactly this situation. I believe he referred to an article of some sort that talked about a former bishop who had recently been called as Elders Quorum President. He circled that fact in the article, and passed it on for corrective action.

I looked through the online transcript of that meeting and don't see what you're describing. Did I miss it somewhere?

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/archive/ ... ng/2010/11


Perhaps that is not a complete transcript, or perhaps I am conflating two meetings. That anecdote may have been from a visiting Seventy during a stake conference soon after the new Handbooks were published. It's a good story. I just wish I could find a source for it besides my own feeble memory.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby kisaac » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 am

The thread title didn't make clear, but the OP seemed to be discussing the second topic here!
    1) Should or could a HP be called as EQ president (doctrinal issue)
    2) How would a clerk record the calling of a HP as EQ president into the Church system (technical/computer MLS issue)

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: High Priest as Elders Quorum President

Postby aebrown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 am

scgallafent wrote:I interpret the handbook a little differently than aebrown on whether a high priest can serve as elders quorum president, but neither of us is the stake president in question. :)

Upon further reflection, I think you have a great point, and since a high priest is indeed an elder, the handbook section I quoted would not prevent a high priest from serving as an EQ president.


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest