Membership Separation/combine

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chikara1

Membership Separation/combine

Post by chikara1 »

I need to separate a child from the parent record and set up her own record. How can I do this?

Also I need to combine two separate record onto one as these people are married. How do I do this?
eblood66

Re: Membership Separation/combine

Post by eblood66 »

chikara1 wrote:I need to separate a child from the parent record and set up her own record. How can I do this?
I assume you mean that you want to move the child into their own household (presumably because they have moved out or you want to assign them their own home teachers).
  1. Start by opening the household record for the household they are currently in (using Membership > Household Record from the menu and selecting the current head of household).
  2. It will list all members of the household. Find the child and click the Remove link to the right of their name.
  3. It will ask if you want to make a new household, to add them to another household or to move their records out of the ward. Select the option to make a new household and click OK.
  4. It will then show a screen listing the other members of the household to allow you to add any of them to the new household as well. Probably you'll want to leave these names unchecked. Click Next.
  5. Enter the phone number and email address for the new household and click Next.
  6. Enter the address and click Next.
  7. Review the summary to make sure all the information is correct and then click Close.
  8. Click the Save button and you're done.
chikara1 wrote:Also I need to combine two separate record onto one as these people are married. How do I do this?
Again I'm assuming that you just need to put the two people into the same household and that the marriage has already been recorded. If the marriage hasn't been recorded then you should do that first and it should automatically put them together in the same household.

If the marriage is already recorded then:
  1. Find the household record of the husband using Membership > Household Record from the menu.
  2. In the upper right part of the box that shows any additional members of the household there is an Add Member link. Click on it.
  3. Select the wife.
  4. It will present a list of any other members of the wife's current household. If there are any you'll may want to check the box by their name in order to add them to the household as well. Then click Next.
  5. Review the summary and click Close.
  6. Click Save and you're done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Separation/combine

Post by russellhltn »

I'd also suggest you avail yourself to the information found in clerksupport.lds.org. Learning church membership terminology will help you navigate the MLS screen and make your calling easier.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”