Showing Membership Record to Member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
opee

Post by opee »

lajackson wrote:But the warning is very clear and specific that members no longer get to see membership records, even when supervised.

I don't read the message in MLS the same as you do. It says that they cannot have copies of their record. It does not explicitly say that you cannot look at the membership record along with them (as stated in the Handbook). It only says explicitly that the member cannot have a copy of their membership record. Only the the Bishop and a clerk can have them.

That is the way that I read it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

opee wrote:I don't read the message in MLS the same as you do.
I agree that your reading is technically correct. The Handbook says the same thing as the MLS screen, and that is the way we used to do it before the IOS came along.

However, the Handbook also says that it is the IOS that the clerks or bishopric members review each year with members, not the actual membership record. (CHI 145)

So, I think personally I would prefer to use the IOS rather than the MR.
znauga

Post by znauga »

jeffclark1070 wrote:From my understanding the member can review the membership record with the Bishop or Clerk but can not keep the membership record. A few years ago I asked the same question from church headquarters and they told me about the membership record containing sensitive information. I guess we are in a ward where there are not many records like this. The member should get a copy of the IOS and for 99.9% of the time the IOS is sufficient to make any adjustments to a record. Common sense needs to be used sometimes, if there is an annotation on the record don't print it out. Printing membership records should not be done for tithing settlement as one might get taken or lost. Best thing to do is use the IOS.

I always thought that membership records not be printed when records move into the ward. I wish that only records with annotations be printed automatically and an IOS be printed for all others. This would help both in not wasting paper and being able to give a priesthood leader the IOS to contact a new move in. I know that this does not apply in Utah but I am in the mission field where 95% of all move ins are not active.
The IOS contains confidential information. Its content should not be shared with anyone other than the Bishop or the member. Delivery to the member can be accomplished from the clerk (not Priesthood leaders) to the member in person or by mail. I believe that delivery by Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers is unreliable and inappropriate.

znauga
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:So, I think personally I would prefer to use the IOS rather than the MR.
Agreed. I think it avoids what could be a messy situation if the member asks for a copy of the paper.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Showing Membership Record to Member

Post by sbradshaw »

There's an interesting question related to this that came up on Christianity Stack Exchange today:
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/q ... ss-to-pers
Maybe someone here who has experience dealing with membership records in the European Union can answer. I'm curious, myself! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can't find it at the moment, but I thought members demanding to see their membership record were to be referred to CHQ. What the ward has isn't everything the church has, so printing the record from MLS wouldn't comply with the legal request.

Edit: I think I found it. It's in the help center under privacy statements. I don't find one for the UK, but I found this one for Germany. See item 6.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:There's an interesting question related to this that came up on Christianity Stack Exchange . . .
Maybe someone here who has experience dealing with membership records in the European Union can answer.
The answer was given in the discussion that followed that question (at CSE). The clerk gives a member the Individual Ordinance Summary. If the member desires more, paragraph 6 of the Church Data Privacy Statement explains that the clerk or member may contact the Church Data Privacy Officer for further assistance. Legal assistance at the Area Office will also be able to assist.

The country Data Privacy Statement should be posted on the bulletin board in every meetinghouse in every country that has a Data Privacy Statement. The Policy should also be explained to every person who is about to be baptized, and a copy of the Statement given to them upon request.

Data security is a very different matter in other countries than it is in the United States. In most other countries, privacy is a highly guarded right of citizens.
gtaylor62

Post by gtaylor62 »

I have a question concerning my late sister.
[Details removed]
Can you help.
Last edited by aebrown on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove personal details
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gtaylor62 wrote:I have a question concerning my late sister.
[Details removed]
Can you help.
I removed the extensive personal details you included in your post, since this is a public forum, and we need to respect the privacy of all involved, both living and dead.

The fact is that no one on this community forum has access to membership information like that. Your bishop and stake president have the ability to contact the confidential membership records department of the Church to make inquiries as to what information you might be able to obtain. That is your best option, and I wish you well in your search.
gtaylor62

Post by gtaylor62 »

Hi,

When I spoke to the Bishop and him spoke to the Stake no one has the date. Do you think that the rest of the information should be sent in?

Thank you
Gail

Return to “Membership Help”