Child of new Convert not in appearing in class roll

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
martinsonaj

Child of new Convert not in appearing in class roll

Post by martinsonaj »

We have a brother who was recently baptized. His membership record includes his children (as captured by the missionaries when he was interviewed for baptism). However, none of the children are visible in the class rolls. One child is younger than 8, the other 2 are over 8.

How do I add these children to the appropriate rolls?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Child of new Convert not in appearing in class roll

Post by aebrown »

martinsonaj wrote:We have a brother who was recently baptized. His membership record includes his children (as captured by the missionaries when he was interviewed for baptism). However, none of the children are visible in the class rolls. One child is younger than 8, the other 2 are over 8.

How do I add these children to the appropriate rolls?
There are two different ways a child can be listed:
  • On the parent's individual membership record, on the Children tab. This lists all children of that member, whether they are members of the ward or not, or even if they are not members of the Church.
  • As members of the household, as shown on the Household record, or on the Household Members tab of the individual membership record. This lists only people who have membership records in the ward.
My guess is that you are seeing the children in the first category. But they can't be placed on class rolls unless they are in the second category.

So how do you create membership records for the children? For the children under 8, you can simply create a Child of Record membership record for them (in MLS, Membership > New Child of Record (under "Create Records"). For the children over 8, it's a bit trickier. You can't create a Child of Record membership record for children over 8 -- the only way to create such a record is for them to actually be baptized. You didn't mention whether the children had been baptized, but I assume that they have not, or you probably wouldn't have these questions.

For children over 8 who are not baptized, your only option for having them appear on rolls is to create nonmember records for them (in MLS, Membership > Nonmember Record (under "Create Records") and add those nonmember records to the household. Note that this technique will only work in MLS; such nonmember children will not appear in Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Child of new Convert not in appearing in class roll

Post by russellhltn »

martinsonaj wrote:His membership record includes his children (as captured by the missionaries when he was interviewed for baptism). However, none of the children are visible in the class rolls.
They won't. Any children or parents that show on a member's record is strictly genealogical information. Those people may or may not be in the ward and may or may not be alive. The only people who will show up in the rolls or lists are those with a individual record of some type of their own.

Note that Handbook 1: 13.6.2 requires permission of both parents (unless only one has custody) before adding a "member of record" for a child. There may be a similar policy for adding non-member records, but I'm not able to find a source for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”