4 yr old not blessed, and not listed

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
forresthickman

4 yr old not blessed, and not listed

Post by forresthickman »

Hi.... i'll get to the point.... i have a situation where there is a newly married couple who both had previous marriages, they both have children, so i put the family together and put the husband as head of household.... the husband brings 1 child (age 4) but the records show the child as not being blessed, so in LDS Tools family directory, the child isn't even listed with the family at all. what do i do?

thanks for any help
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: 4 yr old not blessed, and not listed

Post by aebrown »

forresthickman wrote:Hi.... i'll get to the point.... i have a situation where there is a newly married couple who both had previous marriages, they both have children, so i put the family together and put the husband as head of household.... the husband brings 1 child (age 4) but the records show the child as not being blessed, so in LDS Tools family directory, the child isn't even listed with the family at all. what do i do?
First of all, it's not clear what you mean by "the records show the child as not being blessed." You could only be looking at "the records" if you actually have the membership record in your ward. Do you actually have a Child of Record membership record for that 4-year-old child? That's the big question.

If you have the record in your ward, then you just have to combine him/her into the household and you're done. If you don't have the record, then the next question is if the child had a record created in a previous ward that was not transferred in. If so, you just request the record and move it into the household. If no record was ever created, then you use MLS to create a Child of Record membership record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

forresthickman wrote:but the records show the child as not being blessed, so in LDS Tools family directory, the child isn't even listed with the family at all. what do i do?
First of all, any blessing information you see on a record is only temporary. It disappears once it moves out the ward. That's because it's not a saving ordnance. There is no need for the next ward to know if the child was blessed or not. Really, the only link between blessings and having the child showing up in reports is that records are usually created at the time of blessing.

The real question is if there is any record at all (besides the notation on the parent's records). If you do not have a individual record for the child, then that would likely explain why they're not showing up. (Although there could also be privacy settings which cause them to be hidden to regular members.)

The solution is to check for a record. If none exists, then try requesting it. If it comes back "none found", then you can follow the procedure for creating a record. Since this is a combined family, it's unclear who the legal parents are. I'd pay particular attention to item #4 under policy in Create a Membership Record
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
forresthickman

Post by forresthickman »

thank you very much. :)

Return to “Membership Help”