Missing record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
adamgjohnson

Missing record

Post by adamgjohnson »

There is a missing record for a 10 year old child. The child was baptized in another state but has never been active. I have been advised by the Stake Clerk to create a new record. How do I do this? It won't let me do it as a child and wants be to do it as a new convert baptism. However won't this then be marked as a baptism for the ward, which it is not.

Please help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missing record

Post by russellhltn »

First, I'd conduct a search for the record. You can do this by requesting the record and see if it shows up, or by calling Local Unit Support and ask them to look for it.

Failing that, I'd read Handbook 1: 16.1.10. Bottom line, you can't just create the record unless you can prove the ordinance has taken place. The child may have to be re-baptized. If you can show the ordinance has taken place, then work with LUS to get the record created.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

adamgjohnson wrote:There is a missing record for a 10 year old child. The child was baptized in another state but has never been active. I have been advised by the Stake Clerk to create a new record. How do I do this? It won't let me do it as a child and wants be to do it as a new convert baptism. However won't this then be marked as a baptism for the ward, which it is not.

Please help.
I assume you've already tried to request the child's record to make sure there really isn't a record. If not, then I'd suggest first trying to request the record using Clerk and Leader Resources on lds.org.

If the child was 8 years old when he/she was baptized then use the Child without Record Baptism menu option and just ignore the initial warning about the child being too old. If the baptism date is for when the child was 8 years old then it will go ahead and record it.

If the child was more than 8 years old when baptized then the baptism would be considered a convert baptism and should have been recorded by the mission office. If it's been long enough that you're certain they aren't just slow, then you can use the Convert Baptism option to go ahead and record the baptism and create a record.

I don't know of anywhere that officially tracks the number of baptisms in a ward, at least not that stakes or wards can see. If the mission tracks that I doubt recording the baptism in MLS will affect their counts.

Note that whenever you record a missing ordinance you need to following the guidance in Handbook 1 section 16.1.10.
adamgjohnson

Post by adamgjohnson »

thanks!!

Return to “Membership Help”