How to change head household in this situation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
forresthickman

How to change head household in this situation

Post by forresthickman »

Hi Everyone;

i have a situation where there was a divorce many years ago. the husband was also excommunicated during that time, but he is still listed as the head of household with is former spouse and child.

before i talked to his former wife on the phone tonight, i didn't realize that he had been excommunicated until she told me, so i tried to see if i could move him out to his new address (not realizing that he had been excommunicated), but it wouldn't let me. i'm not even sure if the divorce was recorded those many years ago. if someone is excommunicated, and the marriage is dissolved, aren't their records removed permanently?

how do i go about removing his name?

i'd appreciate any help.
thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to change head household in this situation

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are that MLS knows he's a non-member given that you can't move him out. (Non-members can't be moved).

I'd process the divorce and if needed "move" the wife and the children out to a new household (at the same address - if she's still there). Then you should be able to delete the non-member husband who is now in his own household.

But first, you might want to record the HT visits so you can put them back on the new household.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”