Moving Out Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jc12996

Moving Out Records

Postby jc12996 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am

What is the policy of moving out records? I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward. People move in and out all the time and it gets rather messy if you can imagine.

Thanks,

John

jc12996

Re: Moving Out Records

Postby jc12996 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:41 am

When I say "move out" I am talking about moving the record to church headquarters because we do not know where the new ward they moved to is.

RossEvans

Postby RossEvans » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 am

jc12996 wrote:When I say "move out" I am talking about moving the record to church headquarters because we do not know where the new ward they moved to is.

Until recently there was a high-level description of this policy in Leader and Clerk Resources, which I can no longer find. However, the policy was outlined in an October 2012 letter to priesthood leaders.

In a nutshell, the mandated procedure lists eight steps (nine including bishop's approval) that must be taken before sending a record to headquarters Address Unknown. Check-boxes for those steps are hard-wired into MLS.

See attachment.
AddressUnknownSteps.pdf
(195.18 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 am

Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 am

jc12996 wrote:I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward.

Since you are at BYU, can you check with the school? Seems like they would be cooperative with wards.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm

jc12996 wrote:I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward. People move in and out all the time and it gets rather messy if you can imagine.

I believe you actually have a membership office there on campus. You might ask around. But the process will still be the same if you really don't know where they are.

I would imagine that your process there should include checking the Y student directory if you are not already doing that.

TinMan

Postby TinMan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:15 am

If you look on the membership record, doesn't it have "previous ward?" I would think that most of the time that would be their home ward where their parents are. Let that ward clerk find them. :)

Return to “Membership Help”