Sealing Restriction question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gr8dreams

Sealing Restriction question

Post by gr8dreams »

I was asked to place a sealing restriction on a couple from my ward who just got divorced. I was able to record the divorce but I can't find anywhere on MLS or LDS.ORG where I can tag their records for a sealing restriction. Can anyone help me with that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sealing Restriction question

Post by russellhltn »

What kind of restriction is desired? I can't find much in the Handbook on the subject. There appears to be an automatic restriction placed upon a couple who have been sealed but are now divorced. The only time I find the actual phrase "Sealing Restriction " is in conjunction with adultery - in which case I'd expect there to be some kind of Disciplinary Action.

Without more information, I'd suggest you call Local Unit Support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sealing Restriction question

Post by lajackson »

gr8dreams wrote:I was asked to place a sealing restriction on a couple from my ward who just got divorced.
If a restriction is to be placed on the membership record, the First Presidency issues it, usually as a result of receiving a Report of Disciplinary Action.

The future need for a cancellation of sealing or a sealing clearance is normally taken care of at the time when one of the members desires to be sealed to another spouse in a temple. A note that these applications will be required in the future does not normally appear on a membership record.

If the bishop has any questions about this, he should counsel with his stake president on how best to proceed after reviewing Handbook 1:3.6.1.

Return to “Membership Help”