High Priest ordination for over 40's

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonawright

High Priest ordination for over 40's

Postby simonawright » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:30 am

We have been discussing when Elders can be ordained High Priests. HB1 16.7.1 indicates that it is for specific callings or when determined by the stake president.

I believe a letter was sent out some years ago saying something along the lines of those brethren over the age of 40 should be considered for advancement to high Priest.

Does anyone have a copy of this letter or recall it? I have looked on the communication library and it isn't there.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: High Priest ordination for over 40's

Postby aebrown » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:46 am

Our stake has a pretty good file of official letters going back 20 years, and we don't have that letter, so it must have been issued long ago. Even if you could locate such a letter, it would have been superseded by the current simple wording that you referred to.

There is currently no policy relating to a particular age. In our stake, it's not at all uncommon for brethren to remain elders throughout their 40s and well into their 50s.

simonawright

Postby simonawright » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

It is possible the letter was issued by the Europe Area Presidency and I think it was sent 10 - 15 years ago.

Our stake president was wondering what would prompt an ordination to High Priest if not for a calling. I was hoping the letter might shed some light on this.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:34 pm

I concur with Alan. I have not seen such a letter and my experience goes back many more years. I have seen very few ordained high priests who did not hold a calling that required ordination. And I have never seen a high priest ordained solely on account of age, although I have heard of it happening from time to time.

As the handbook states, though, these ordinations are as determined by the stake president.

TinMan

Postby TinMan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:27 am

We occasionally ordain an Elder to High Priest because of age. If we have a 50+ Elder and most of the rest of the quorum is in their mid thirties, we will ordain him a High Priest so he can nap easier during quorum meeting without all the noise from babies.

As long as he is worthy, he should be where he is most comfortable peer-wise. Yeah, there is no hard fast rule about where Elders or High Priests actually attend quorum meeting and I have been in wards with High Priest Groups so small they are combined with the Elders. But he is probably more comfortable home teaching and being home taught by others his age.

tonyjameshart

Postby tonyjameshart » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:39 am

I am 50+ yrs old, and have not had any callings that would require being a HP. I do not desire to be a High Priest, being an Elder is enough. Being the "old" one is not a reason to be a HP. Being off the radar of the stake president, I may never be a HP and that is fine.
Being the best Elder is enough. Presiding is not a responsibility I "need". That task is the only real difference.
Besides, most members of my ward are young, so in the HP I would still be older than most.

Return to “Membership Help”