Records/info show in two wards within a stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshbingham

Records/info show in two wards within a stake

Post by joshbingham »

So, you know how a Bishop of a single's ward shows up in his home ward, as well as in the single's ward he is Bishop of?

Is there a way to do that for other stake members.

For example. We have some singles in our stake that have a special calling (originates from the stake level) to serve in a struggling ward in the stake in various WARD positions). For practical reasons, their records have to reside in the struggling family ward they are serving in. However, they very much want to be socially connected to the single's ward and my Bishop has asked me to figure out how they can show up in our ward directory too (just like he does).

Anyone know IF this is possible, and if yes, HOW to do it?

My humble thanks in advance.

-Josh
Ward Clerk
Josh Bingham
Ward Clerk - Palo Alto Foothills Ward (California)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Records/info show in two wards within a stake

Post by russellhltn »

joshbingham wrote:So, you know how a Bishop of a single's ward shows up in his home ward, as well as in the single's ward he is Bishop of?
It's called "Out-of-unit Leader". You take the IOS of the member and create a Out-of-unit record in the MLS of the other ward. Then you put them in a calling.

That said, I'm not sure if this will work for what you want to do. It may not work if they have no calling and it may not work for custom positions.

Something you may want to look at is having the YSA ward maintain a stake calendar of activities. That way all singles in the stake can see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

joshbingham wrote:So, you know how a Bishop of a single's ward shows up in his home ward, as well as in the single's ward he is Bishop of?

For example. We have some singles in our stake that have a special calling (originates from the stake level) to serve in a struggling ward in the stake in various WARD positions). For practical reasons, their records have to reside in the struggling family ward they are serving in. However, they very much want to be socially connected to the single's ward and my Bishop has asked me to figure out how they can show up in our ward directory too (just like he does).

-Josh
Ward Clerk
You have to create an out-of-unit record for them in the singles ward and then assign them to a standard (not a custom) calling in the singles ward. However, as far as I know this will only make them show up in the Ward Leadership portion of the online directory. They won't show up in the Households portion. As far a I know out-of-unit bishops only show up in the Leadership section as well.
joshbingham

Post by joshbingham »

eblood66 wrote:

-Josh
Ward Clerk
You have to create an out-of-unit record for them in the singles ward and then assign them to a standard (not a custom) calling in the singles ward. However, as far as I know this will only make them show up in the Ward Leadership portion of the online directory. They won't show up in the Households portion. As far a I know out-of-unit bishops only show up in the Leadership section as well.
Thanks.

Now I am even more confused though. You are right, the out of unit Bishopric members do not show up in the "households" directory on LDS.org (only the Leadership section), HOWEVER, they (and their spouses) DO show up in the "Directory" found using the app, "LDS Tools". I wonder why? Anyone know?
Josh Bingham
joshbingham

Post by joshbingham »

russellhltn wrote:
It's called "Out-of-unit Leader". You take the IOS of the member and create a Out-of-unit record in the MLS of the other ward. Then you put them in a calling.

That said, I'm not sure if this will work for what you want to do. It may not work if they have no calling and it may not work for custom positions.

Something you may want to look at is having the YSA ward maintain a stake calendar of activities. That way all singles in the stake can see it.
Thanks for your response. What the Bishop wants is for our ward members to be able to see them, so it's less about getting info about our events and more about getting our ward members to know them more.

What's strange is I notice our Out of Unit Bishop and his counselors do not show up in the "Household" section of the directory on LDS.org, HOWEVER, they do show up (along with their spouses) in the general "Directory" section in the LDS Tools App. Any idea why this is so?
Josh Bingham
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

joshbingham wrote:
eblood66 wrote:

-Josh
Ward Clerk
Thanks.

Now I am even more confused though. You are right, the out of unit Bishopric members do not show up in the "households" directory on LDS.org (only the Leadership section), HOWEVER, they (and their spouses) DO show up in the "Directory" found using the app, "LDS Tools". I wonder why? Anyone know?
I didn't know that. I suppose the LDS Tools app must take out-of-unit leaders and integrate them into the directory list. I expect the same could be done on lds.org but it hasn't been.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I maybe better to have their record in the the singles ward and then have the out of unit record in the other ward.

On the other hand you could just follow the instructions in the Handbook on single young adults. I think you will find a solution there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I maybe better to have their record in the the singles ward and then have the out of unit record in the other ward
That would be a better fit for "out-of-unit leader" - someone who is not in the ward but has a calling in the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eblood66 wrote:
I didn't know that. I suppose the LDS Tools app must take out-of-unit leaders and integrate them into the directory list. I expect the same could be done on lds.org but it hasn't been.
That's correct – it's not a bug, just a different implementation. Maybe they will standardize it eventually, but the LDS.org Directory hasn't been updated significantly for a while.

According to the pre-release notes, Leader and Clerk Resources 3.0 will have the ability to add out-of-unit members to the directory without requiring them to have specific callings:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/clerk- ... s?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Membership Help”