moving in records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: moving in records

Post by russellhltn »

In addition to the above replies, you might want to watch the June 1st, 2012 LDSTech broadcast. At around the 31:15 mark, we learn that the free product of TeamViewer is strictly for personal computer to personal computer. It requires a paid-for license to use it on a church computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aawinters

Re: Moving in records

Post by aawinters »

eblood66 wrote:
Toafa wrote:I am the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric and we DO NOT currently have a clerk. Our meetinghouse is about 35 minutes away and I really do not want to travel just to request records. Can I use the functionality on line at home to request records or is it based on my current calling and what the access table indicates?
I'm afraid the online Request Records function is not available to bishopric counselors (as indicated in the access table). Only the bishop and clerks have that option.
Do you understand why counselors are allowed to request records in MLS, but not online? Or, do plans exist to make it available to counselors online?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Moving in records

Post by aebrown »

aawinters wrote:Do you understand why counselors are allowed to request records in MLS, but not online? Or, do plans exist to make it available to counselors online?
Permissions in MLS are for the most part not specific to a calling -- leaders and clerks have whatever permissions the bishop (or stake president) chooses to give them. But the permissions on Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org are tied only to the calling(s) a person has -- there is no way for the bishop or stake president to grant permissions (short of giving a person a standard calling).

As for the specific question about why counselors cannot request records, that is in line with the responsibilities outlined in the Church handbooks. The ward clerk (and his assistants) has specific responsibility for records, as does the bishop. But counselors are not designated as having those responsibilities in the handbooks, so they don't have corresponding permissions in LCR.
aawinters

Post by aawinters »

Thank you, my friend! I thought the handbook mentioned something for counselors, but now that you mention it, I believe you are right.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We had a case in a small unit where the branch president requested that one of his counselors function temporarily as the branch clerk. While there was no formal sustaining or setting apart, the stake approved the request and the counselor was entered into MLS as a branch membership clerk, allowing him to use online LCR from home to handle many membership record functions.

When a clerk became available and was called, the special arrangement was ended after the new clerk was trained by the counselor and the stake.
aawinters

Post by aawinters »

Good to know. In instances where it's important to request mid-week, and neither the bishop nor the clerk are available, I'll just run to the building to make the change.

Return to “Membership Help”