Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eric.ao.yuli
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby eric.ao.yuli » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Our ward is currently in the habit of the bishop making a phone call to a member's previous bishop each time a new membership record is received in our ward. I looked in the online Handbook 2 (19.1.1), where the wording is:

"Leaders may extend a Church calling only after (1) a person’s membership record is on file in the ward and has been carefully reviewed by the bishop or (2) the bishop has contacted the member’s previous bishop to determine that the member is worthy for the calling and to verify that his or her membership record does not include an annotation or a comment about unresolved Church discipline."


I showed it to our bishop, and he mentioned that he remembers receiving a letter from SLC that changed the "or" to an "and", meaning that both statements (1) and (2) need to be completed before issuing a calling. He feels that the handbook may not have been updated. I searched the Official Communications Library and could not find the letter.

Is anyone aware of a letter that changed the wording? Or of a requirement to call the previous bishop before issuing a calling if the member's membership record has already been received in the new ward? Thanks.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20723
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby russellhltn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:02 pm

The on-line version is current.

The problem with the "and" theory is that there is no time limit specified. If a member's records have been in the ward for 10 years, is it necessary to call the prior bishop? I don't think so. But I can understand where a bishop who has just received records would want to consult with the prior bishop.

I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby Gary_Miller » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm

eric.ao.yuli wrote:I showed it to our bishop, and he mentioned that he remembers receiving a letter from SLC that changed the "or" to an "and", meaning that both statements (1) and (2) need to be completed before issuing a calling. He feels that the handbook may not have been updated. I searched the Official Communications Library and could not find the letter.

Unless the Bishop can produce an official communication after 2010 the Handbook is the guideline.

The Bishop may want to review the Training Material from the world wide training in 2010 and 2011. Pay particular attention to President Monsons opening remarks in 2010.
Last edited by Gary_Miller on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby Gary_Miller » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:12 pm

russellhltn wrote:I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.

Correct see Handbook 1, 3.3.3.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2023
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby eblood66 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 pm

russellhltn wrote:The on-line version is current.

The problem with the "and" theory is that there is no time limit specified. If a member's records have been in the ward for 10 years, is it necessary to call the prior bishop? I don't think so. But I can understand where a bishop who has just received records would want to consult with the prior bishop.

I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.

That right. See Handbook 1 section 3.3.3.

Although it isn't a requirement my bishop likes to contact the previous bishop in all cases. For one, he just likes to find out about any special needs or situations that might be helpful to know. And two, it means he doesn't have to contact the bishop later if the member needs a recommend before they've been in the ward a year.

Our stake president encourages the practice as well.

Unless the bishop doesn't really want to do it and just thinks he has too, I wouldn't worry about it. If he does really want to know what is required then you can tell him the online handbook is up to date. For example, after an official letter regarding a single adult policy a few months ago the handbook was updated within 2 or 3 weeks.

eric.ao.yuli
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby eric.ao.yuli » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies. My bishop doesn't mind making the calls, but it is nice to have clarification. I wasn't aware of the temple recommend requirement, so that is a good reason to continue making contact with the previous bishop.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm glad it isn't a requirement to do both in all cases. The YSA student wards in my YSA stake would be drowning in incoming and outgoing phone calls every semester change! :)


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest