When to create a new record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
galehjohnson

When to create a new record

Post by galehjohnson »

I have a family taking their newly approved adopted daughter to the Temple to be sealed on Saturday this week. They want to bless the child on Sunday.

This seems out of order, as there is no record of the child in church records. Should I create a record for her before she heads to the temple, and then update it when blessed the next day, or will the Temple create the record at time of sealing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: When to create a new record

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. I think I'd call the temple at the first opportunity - which is probably Tuesday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: When to create a new record

Post by eblood66 »

galehjohnson wrote:I have a family taking their newly approved adopted daughter to the Temple to be sealed on Saturday this week. They want to bless the child on Sunday.

This seems out of order, as there is no record of the child in church records. Should I create a record for her before she heads to the temple, and then update it when blessed the next day, or will the Temple create the record at time of sealing?
I'm not sure. We blessed our children before they were sealed to us. However, if the adoption is final I don't see any reason why you couldn't create the membership record immediately and then print the blessing certificate after the blessing. There is no requirement that the blessing be performed before creating the membership record. It's just convenient to create the record and print the blessing certificate at the same time.

I expect that the temple will create the record if it doesn't already exist but I know things work fine if the record is created first.

Return to “Membership Help”