Moving records outside of US

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 am
Location: Homedale, ID USA

Moving records outside of US

Postby notchback » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 pm

As part of the 20 membership records that came back to us from the Address Unknown file at CHQ, we received one who we have a new address for. It is in the US Virgin Islands. I tried to move it out on-line and in MLS and could not. MLS requires me to know the ward/branch they are moving to. The on-line tool only lists the 50 states, DC and Canadian provinces. How do I move a record to the USVI?

User avatar
Community Administrator
Posts: 15064
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Moving records outside of US

Postby aebrown » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:05 pm

MLS does not require you to know the ward/branch where you are moving the record. That's an optional field that you can leave blank. Just supply the new address and move the record out.

Community Administrator
Posts: 24393
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Moving records outside of US

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:31 pm

On move-outs, you should generally leave the ward blank unless you are absolutely certain of it or it's a "specialty" ward like YSA or language ward. It's not needed for the average move-out. Getting it wrong causes a headache for the ward receiving the records in error.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "" to the search criteria.

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest