Married Inactive Member Won't Provide Spouse Info

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeromer7

Married Inactive Member Won't Provide Spouse Info

Post by jeromer7 »

I found a situation today in one of the wards in my stake that I don’t know how to advise the clerk. Thus I’m turning to all the experienced help here.

How do you handle a membership record where the inactive member acknowledges he is married, but declines to provide a marriage date or any information on the spouse? Do you enter dummy info to reflect there is a spouse, or ignore it and have the member appear as single? Or is there another option?
JLR
superdave98

Re: Married Inactive Member Won't Provide Spouse Info

Post by superdave98 »

While I haven't had that situation, I think I would look into whether there are public records regarding the marriage that could be examined to provide the needed information.

Dave
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Do nothing and let the member appear as single.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jeromer7 wrote:How do you handle a membership record where the inactive member acknowledges he is married, but declines to provide a marriage date or any information on the spouse? Do you enter dummy info to reflect there is a spouse, or ignore it and have the member appear as single? Or is there another option?
Have the Single Adults contact him and invite him to their activities. [grin]

I think it would be helpful if a member of the bishopric explained that having the marriage information would avoid those kinds of contacts. If the spouse is not a member, no further contact will be made.

The member has his agency, of course.

Return to “Membership Help”