Out-of-Unit Membership Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Out-of-Unit Membership Records

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm pretty sure the counselors don't have to be high priests; but they still have to be married, right? If so, you could have a counselor from within a married student ward, but not from within a YSA ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I checked the directory of our student branch. Both councilors are unmarried and I'm pretty sure are student age themselves. But Handbook 1 is the real authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Interesting! I don't have access to Handbook 1 so I'll take your word for it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I checked the directory of our student branch. Both councilors are unmarried and I'm pretty sure are student age themselves. But Handbook 1 is the real authority.
Handbook Section 9.1.6 indicates that councilors in YSA wards should be married but may be students or other young men. It doesn't mention anything about councilors in a YSA branch. Councilors in YSA wards in conventional stakes must be high priests but may be elders in YSA stakes.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I've done several updates to this document. I removed the checklist page and tried to simplify it and make it more generic so it would apply to any YSA ward or stake. There are also better instructions for stake leaders. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. A new version is attached.
Attachments
Out-of-Unit Membership Records.docx
(143.81 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Out-of-Unit Membership Records.pdf
(95.86 KiB) Downloaded 4285 times
teuscher

Post by teuscher »

Sorry, I am joining the conversation a bit late ... but I have a related question that doesn't appear to be noted in the excellent guide that sbradshaw prepared.

We have 2 stakes. Stake 1 has a YSA ward, and the bishop of that ward is a member of Stake 1. Young Single adults from Stake 2 also attend the YSA ward, and when they begin attending, their records are moved to that ward. The YSA Bishop requested access to Stake 2 membership via LDS Tools. Stake President for Stake 2 approved the request.

Now I have to do it!! Here is what I think I need to do:
1. Create an Out-of-Unit record for the YSA Bishop in Stake 2 ... but I can't find that option from the Stake MLS computer. Does it have to be done at the Ward level?
2. Give the YSA Bishop a calling in MLS. Does it have to be a standard Stake Calling? Or can it be a custom calling? If a standard calling is required to access information on LDS Tools, what calling should I use?

Does that make sense? Any help is appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

teuscher wrote:1. Create an Out-of-Unit record for the YSA Bishop in Stake 2 ... but I can't find that option from the Stake MLS computer. Does it have to be done at the Ward level?
In Stake MLS, it's under Membership, in the Other Record Changes pane (bottom middle).
teuscher wrote:2. Give the YSA Bishop a calling in MLS. Does it have to be a standard Stake Calling? Or can it be a custom calling? If a standard calling is required to access information on LDS Tools, what calling should I use?
Yes, it has to be a standard stake calling. The calling you use is up to you. It's not going to be a calling the bishop actually has, so you need to pick something that won't be too misleading. You might pick something in the Stake YSA area.
chambem

Post by chambem »

A. How can out-of-unit members that are sisters be assigned in-unit ministering sisters. My relief society leader is struggling on this and can't seem to make it work. If there is handbook guidance that disallows this, where is the guidance? B. Also, how can full-time sister missionaries serving in the ward be assigned as ministering sisters? Do they need to be added as out-of-unit members first? Would that even help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can't find it in the Handbook, but as I recall the "business rules" handed down to the developers doesn't allow out-of-unit members to participate.

Missionaries are to be involved "on a limited basis" (last paragraph 21.3)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”