Change Head of Household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rickd47

Re: Change Head of Household

Post by rickd47 »

The solution to this was to pull up the Household Record, go to members of the household, highlight the husband's name and Remove him from the family. Then open Individual Records, select the husmand's name, open his record, click on members of the famiily, select Add Member, select the wife's name and add her.
This establishes the husband as Head of Household and places his wife as spouse. Verify this action by looking at Household Records. If all changed properly the husband will now be listed as Head of Household. Thank you all for your assistance to resolve this issue.
dence

Post by dence »

I have a stranger twist. We have a newly formed YSA branch in our stake. A husband got pulled out to move his records to the YSA branch. The stake moved his records back into our ward and his wife is still listed as H of H. How do I fix this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dence wrote:I have a stranger twist. We have a newly formed YSA branch in our stake. A husband got pulled out to move his records to the YSA branch. The stake moved his records back into our ward and his wife is still listed as H of H. How do I fix this?
If he's in a separate household, you can just add her to his household (and MLS will ask you if you want to also move the children, if there are any). If he's in her household, but listed as "other", you can remove him from the household, thus creating a separate household for him, and then move her into that household.
ferrinhazelfield1

Post by ferrinhazelfield1 »

Why would a wife lose her status as head of household if her husband joins the church? Why is he above her? For that matter, if a single lady marries, before marrying, she actually had a higher status in the church records--head of household--and after marrying, she is nothing? Why are these distinctions being made in the directories? Why is a woman lesser? Why would a young woman want to marry when she is head of household as a single and then no longer will be after marrying? Doesn't anyone else have these questions? The distinction and also the demotion after marriage--as if he is better--seems cruel.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

@ ferrinhazelfield1
These types of questions should be addressed to your bishop since they are points of doctrine. We try to stick to technology and dealing with technology in the forums. Occasionally we must address the reasons for technology implementation by reference to the handbooks. But those discussions do not, or should not, get into the doctrine you are seeking. You will find the Code of Conduct states "You may not post ... [r]eligious discussions or debate." Discussions addressing your questions will end up as religious discussions.

This thread is a discussion around the technical aspects of changing a head of household. We need to keep the discussion focused on that topic.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
moffatj

Post by moffatj »

Although this may not be the proper venue for discussing points of doctrine, can anyone indicate what "head of household" means and why husband's are given access to more information than their wives? This does not jive well with the instruction that husbands and wives should be equal partners.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moffatj wrote:and why husband's are given access to more information than their wives?
Where are you seeing this? What information they see is dependent on their calling. A Relief Society President will likely see more than a husband who is a Elder's Quorum instructor.

If you're talking about LDS Tools, there can be differences in capability between Android, Apple and Windows versions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

moffatj wrote:can anyone indicate what "head of household" means
In the world of Church recordkeeping, "head of household" is the term for the member with whose membership record a group of other membership records are connected. Most commonly, it is the father of a family. It may also be a mother, if there is no father or if he is not a member, or it could be an oldest child with whom other brothers or sisters are connected. A single record is also, by default, a head of household, even though no other records are attached.

As has already been mentioned, a member receives information based on calling, and not on whether their membership record is the anchor for a collection of other records. All other things being equal, a husband and wife will see exactly the same information about each other and their children, if any.
ebarnes

Post by ebarnes »

I have a family where the wife moved their records to the Spanish branch in our area. The family stopped going to church other than the husband who goes only occasionally. He now wants to move just his records back to our ward and leave the rest of the family in the Spanish branch. They are still living in the same home. Do you see any problems with me doing that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ebarnes wrote:I have a family where the wife moved their records to the Spanish branch in our area. The family stopped going to church other than the husband who goes only occasionally. He now wants to move just his records back to our ward and leave the rest of the family in the Spanish branch. They are still living in the same home. Do you see any problems with me doing that?
Honestly, I think it would be best for the two bishops to talk it over and see what the best plan is for this family. Personally, I don't like the idea of splitting them up when they are living together. Both wards would then be responsible for Home Teaching.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”