Callings show up in LDS.org, but are missing in MLS.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Callings show up in LDS.org, but are missing in MLS.

Post by russellhltn »

klebla wrote:To me the MLS is the central system and should update all others like LDS.org and possibly CDOL when we do send/receive.
I wonder if someone did a restore of your MLS database - perhaps to fix a finance issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

klebla wrote:To me the MLS is the central system and should update all others like LDS.org and possibly CDOL when we do send/receive.
I could see how you might look at it that way, but MLS is definitely not the central system. It is simply a tool for updating the central systems such as CDOL, CMIS, and others. For callings, CDOL is the central system.

Of course, MLS is designed to stay in sync with CDOL, but it if gets out of sync, it is CDOL that is the system of record. You can do a Unit Data Refresh in MLS to request that the MLS data gets updated to match CDOL (it will also update the membership records). That's generally a good thing to do if you have problems with being out of sync.
klebla

Post by klebla »

I wonder if someone did a restore of your MLS database - perhaps to fix a finance issue.
Will check with the other clerks Sunday when the last one returns from vacation and see if that may have happened.
klebla

Post by klebla »

aebrown wrote:... MLS is definitely not the central system. It is simply a tool for updating the central systems such as CDOL...

Of course, MLS is designed to stay in sync with CDOL, but it if gets out of sync, it is CDOL that is the system of record. You can do a Unit Data Refresh in MLS to request that the MLS data gets updated to match CDOL (it will also update the membership records). That's generally a good thing to do if you have problems with being out of sync.
How do I look at CDOL and make a compare to MLS? Can a compare tell me what is out of sync? It seems for some odd reason some of the 'other' callings we updated in MLS did not get updated in CDOL. Then something happend to trigger all of that old stuff to be sent from CDOL to MLS. What keeps MLS from sending the latest info to CDOL? We do send/receives all the time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

klebla wrote:How do I look at CDOL and make a compare to MLS?
Manually.

klebla wrote:It seems for some odd reason some of the 'other' callings we updated in MLS did not get updated in CDOL.
There was a bug from some months ago that caused that. So some callings entered in a certain time frame may not be in CDOL.

klebla wrote:Then something happend to trigger all of that old stuff to be sent from CDOL to MLS.
A Unit Refresh could have done that. I believe there are times when it's done automatically - possibly with a MLS upgrade.

klebla wrote:What keeps MLS from sending the latest info to CDOL? We do send/receives all the time.
MLS only sends changes. It won't send things that had already been sent. So you need to do something, such as toggle the set part flag to cause MLS to re-send that position. And before you ask - no, there is no "reverse unit refresh" to send all MLS calling data to CDOL.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klebla

Post by klebla »

Thanks russellhltn will try these and see what we can do to clean things up. From now on for sure we will just delete current persons being released and just add the calling again with the new person, etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

klebla wrote:From now on for sure we will just delete current persons being released and just add the calling again with the new person, etc.
You're welcome to do that extra work if it fixes your problems, but I've never had to do that. I simply change the people serving in the existing callings and everything syncs properly. I'd be wary of institutionalizing a temporary workaround that creates extra work. Once you get MLS and CDOL in sync, a simple calling change should work just fine.

Return to “Membership Help”