Boundary Exceptions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Boundary Exceptions

Post by sbradshaw »

The exception that allows someone not in the ward to have a calling is applicable to any out-of-unit member called to serve in another unit.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

So how does this relate to flagging membership records. The Bishop or Ward Clerk can flag a membership record that will prevent it from being transferred out. If a membership record is flagged and the member then moves, the record stays in the Ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelcox wrote:So how does this relate to flagging membership records. The Bishop or Ward Clerk can flag a membership record that will prevent it from being transferred out. If a membership record is flagged and the member then moves, the record stays in the Ward.
Typically, records are flagged for a reason. Usually unresolved disciplinary action. If the member moves out, then things can be worked out between the bishops, the record unflagged, and the record moved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Athomas1234

Post by Athomas1234 »

I have a question about the boundaries? If I literally lived in the middle of my street I would go to my childhood ward. Would this be reason to be able to make my childhood ward my ward I could go to?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Athomas1234 wrote:I have a question about the boundaries? If I literally lived in the middle of my street I would go to my childhood ward. Would this be reason to be able to make my childhood ward my ward I could go to?
I don't know of any members who live in the middle of the street. It sounds kind of dangerous to me. [smile]

If the boundary goes down the middle of the street, the houses on one side of the street are in one ward and the houses in the other side of the street are in the other ward. The stake president would need to request an exception from the First Presidency to move the membership record into a ward across the street if it crosses a ward boundary.

Where you attend, of course, is a matter of agency. But if your membership record is not in the ward you attend, the bishop there will not be able to give you a calling, a temple recommend, or provide any of the other important blessings of the gospel to you. And that would be sad.

Is there a place to rent or a home for sale across the street? That would work, at least until the Church grows and the boundaries are changed again.
Athomas1234

Post by Athomas1234 »

Lol. No there is a cornfield across the street. It's so close to the boundaries that my Bishop said he would do whatever was necessary to get me into the Ward. Thanks.
rjmjcfamily31

Post by rjmjcfamily31 »

I have a concern, my daughter husband and grandchildren moved out of home and they voiced there concern that if they can't go to our ward then wouldn't go at all my wife said then we will go with them to other ward until they are comfortable would we then become inactive?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rjmjcfamily31 wrote:I have a concern, my daughter husband and grandchildren moved out of home and they voiced there concern that if they can't go to our ward then wouldn't go at all my wife said then we will go with them to other ward until they are comfortable would we then become inactive?
No. Just let your bishop know what you are doing. Hopefully, it will not take long to help your daughter and her family become comfortable in their new ward. You might even speak with their bishop, too, and let him know about the new family moving into his ward.

Return to “Membership Help”