From Seventy to Elder

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

lajackson wrote:This is the current policy, except that it is the stake president, not the bishop, who approves the ordination. A bishop might suggest to the stake president that the ordination be considered, but the stake president decides unless, as you said, the brother is being called to a position requiring high priest ordination.

In any event, we all hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, and at that point all of the blessings of the gospel, including exaltation, become possible through faithfulness.

You are right, my error should have stated Stake President.
SmithGW

From Seventy to Elder

Post by SmithGW »

These brethren are correct. If this person has the priesthood office of Seventy, then he will remain a Seventy. You never "downgrade" a person's priesthood office. I was a Seventy when the quorums on the local level were done away with. I was over forty, so I met with the High Priests for a couple of years until the stake president authorized my ordination to High Priest.

Now, if the ordination was recorded in error and he never really was a Seventy, that's a different matter. But you would have a real problem proving that.

I'd leave it the way it is.
Eric Werny-p40

Needs Serious Review

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

I have never heard of this type of request being issued by any leader, that has the authority to do so.

We also have a duty to sometime question stupid decisions, and ask questions of why. As clerks we
have been called to our positions by the Stake Presidency, and if some goes amiss we have the
right to talk to the Stake about it.

I suggest to talk to the Stake Clerk about this issue also.

Return to “Membership Help”