Marriage Certificate

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Marriage Certificate

Post by russellhltn »

mary0512 wrote:I am a member my spouse was not we are a declared common law marrage he passed away last Saturday would the church accept and make official we wore 2 week from getting married court wise I don't want for him to feel un ease not been able to make it [phone number removed - this is a public forum]
All civil marriages terminate at the death of the spouse. I don't think there's any way to record that marriage now.

I think the only option is to wait a year and then have his work done at the temple and be sealed to him at that time (assuming you're not already sealed to someone else).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikehawley

Post by mikehawley »

No The LDS church does not recognize common law marriages, unless you have the state where you reside create a document stating that you are leagally married. Note: I don't know of any states that recognize common law marriages.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

mikehawley wrote:No The LDS church does not recognize common law marriages, unless you have the state where you reside create a document stating that you are leagally married. Note: I don't know of any states that recognize common law marriages.
In a quick google search, it appears some states do recognize common law marriages, but they each have different requirements to be recognized as a legal marriage by the state.

Mary0512, I suspect no one here would be qualified to give advice on that aspect - you should speak with legal advisers for the requirements where your live and with your bishop as he can either advise you or consult with his stake president for the official church position in your particular situation.

Return to “Membership Help”