Marriage Certificate

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
egowen

Marriage Certificate

Post by egowen »

I'm a new Bishop and just performed my first Civil Marriage (Handbook 1 Section 3.5.3) for a couple who are members of our Ward. I know MLS generates certificates for a number of different ordinances such as the blessing of children, baptism, etc but I could not find anything about producing marriage certificates for marriages for time performed in the Bishop's office. I would like to be able to give the couple some form of certificate attesting to their marriage that is LDS compatible until such time as they can go to the Temple for a proper sealing. What are the rest of you doing in these cases?
Regards,

Ed Gowen
--------------------------------
Edward J Gowen Jr
Macon Georgia Stake Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe there should be a legal certificate from the state. There's nothing from the church side.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Here in Utah, the couple brings two things from the state. A form I fill back and mail to the county so they can record the marriage, and a certificate I fill out and sign and give back to the couple. Actually my wife fills it out because she has much better handwriting. Then I sign it, the bride and groom also have to sign both forms (usually pictures are taken,) and I give the certificate to the mother of the bride at the ceremony.

I photocopy the form I mail back to the state and give it to the ward clerk so he can get them married in the MLS system.
egowen

Post by egowen »

Unfortunately in Georgia or at least in Houston County, the only thing the couple brings me is a single sheet of laser printed paper (marriage License) with their names on it and a place for me to sign after the ceremony. I'm to mail it back to be recorded. I did make a copy for the ward clerk to use in updating MLS but I'd really like to present them with a Church-appropriate marriage certificate at least until we can get them to the Temple where things can be done properly. The certificate templates I've found on the Internet just don't seem very appropriate.
Regards,

Ed Gowen
--------------------------------
Edward J Gowen Jr
Macon Georgia Stake Clerk
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You might visit with other bishops to see how they do it in your state. In a state where I lived, the certificate the county provided was very nice and had to be signed and sent back to the county, but two things happened. We made a copy for our clerk to use to update the membership record. And the county sent the original signed certificate to the couple after it had been recorded at vital statistics.

Even though the license in your state may be on plain paper, it may look better if copied onto a parchment type paper after everything is signed. But if that will not do, others nearby may have a solution for you.
jmhroberts

Re: Marriage Certificate

Post by jmhroberts »

We need a copy of our marriages certificate, does the church that on file and how do I get it? Thanks Janet Roberts
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmhroberts wrote:We need a copy of our marriages certificate, does the church that on file and how do I get it? Thanks Janet Roberts
While the bishop or sealer performs the marriage, the marriage itself is a function of the government. Any certificates are issued by the government. The church doesn't. The leader just signs and files the appropriate paperwork with the state. At least I've never see a marriage certificate issued by the church - and I was a ward clerk for a singles ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jmhroberts wrote:We need a copy of our marriages certificate, does the church that on file and how do I get it? Thanks Janet Roberts
In the UK, if the marriage was carried out at a Meetinghouse, the marriage details are normally kept there until the registration book is full. When that happens the book is forwarded to the local Registrars office for that building. Then eventually to the General Registry Office (GRO).

To obtain a duplicate, your first port of call would be the Meetinghouse the ceremony was carried out in.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jmhroberts wrote:We need a copy of our marriages certificate, does the church that on file and how do I get it?
In the United States, the Church does not keep a copy of the marriage certificate, but the county or state in which you were married will have a copy.
mary0512

Post by mary0512 »

I am a member my spouse was not we are a declared common law marrage he passed away last Saturday would the church accept and make official we wore 2 week from getting married court wise I don't want for him to feel un ease not been able to make it [phone number removed - this is a public forum]
Last edited by russellhltn on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed phone number

Return to “Membership Help”