missionary couple accessing local unit member info

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colbyj

missionary couple accessing local unit member info

Post by colbyj »

I'm a clerk, we have a full-time missionary couple serving in our ward who will serve their mission in our ward combined with their other mission duties. Main point being, they are essentially "assigned" to our ward. The mission president and this couple have asked me how the couple might be able to access the ward's member information via the lds.org directory. We've tried to add them as "out of unit" members with a calling as "missionary," but when they log onto lds.org, they still only have access to their home ward. We wouldn't be transfering their records from their home ward to ours because they are full-time missionaries. We've given them hard-copy directories... but we'd still like to arrange it so they have access to the ward directory via lds.org. We'd like for them to be able to log onto lds.org and after clicking "directory" be able to go to our ward, rather than their home ward.

any ideas as to how we may accomplish this?
thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

An out of unit member is all you can do. If the Mission President wants to find a way, he'll have to take it up with his superiors. There's nothing in your power you can do.

It's CHQ that writes the code and sets the policy. Not the ward or stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

thank you, an out of unit member is not able to view a ward directory, correct?? that's our main point. thanks
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

colbyj wrote:thank you, an out of unit member is not able to view a ward directory, correct?? that's our main point. thanks

Although I don't have any direct experience, it seems pretty clear from others on the forums that some out-of-unit members do have access. But it's also clear that they gain access because of their callings (as listed in CDOL), not because they have an out-of-unit membership record in MLS. What I don't know is what callings get access. From your experience, not all callings do get access. It could be that it has to be a standard calling, or it may require a leadership calling or it may be a specific list of callings. If the calling you entered was a custom calling, I'd try using the standard Missionary calling (under Other Callings). Otherwise, you're probably out of luck, at least for now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure exactly how it works. My point is that your ability is very limited and the mission president needs to take up his request with someone who is in a position to do something about it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalong71

Out of unit missionary access to on-line membership, etc.

Post by kalong71 »

I am currently serving as a senior missionary. To gain access to the ward records on-line the following was done:

1. I was added as an out-of-unit member. (I was told that this required my bap, conf, & prhd dates which we provided).

2. I was called by the stake to be an assistant ward clerk for membership and was added to the MLS system as such.

After a day or two I had access on lds.org to "Clerk Resources" under Tools.

Seems to work fine.

Cheers.
Kevin Long :):cool:;)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kalong71 wrote:2. I was called by the stake to be an assistant ward clerk for membership and was added to the MLS system as such.
Out of unit leaders is not an issue. The issue is for those out of unit members without a leadership calling. Not all units will be willing to call a senior missionary to a leadership position just to grant them regular member access to on-line applications.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
cspring

Adding nonresident members to the Web site

Post by cspring »

There is a section in the Local Unit Website wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Local_Unit_Website) that has a section titled
'Adding nonresident members to the Web site' but I believe this section is outdated because as the ward clerk I don't have any of those buttons/options.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cspring wrote:There is a section in the Local Unit Website wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Local_Unit_Website) that has a section titled
'Adding nonresident members to the Web site' but I believe this section is outdated because as the ward clerk I don't have any of those buttons/options.

It isn't exactly outdated but, as it says at the top, it only applies to the classic unit websites (found at http://units.lds.org) and not to any of the newer tools like the Calendar, Directory, Maps or Lesson Schedule. So it is of very limited usefulness especially since those websites may be turned off soon.

On the classic site you have to be added manually as a administrator by an existing administrator. Your calling as ward clerk doesn't automatically grant you any additional rights on the classic site. That is most likely why you don't see any of the options described.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:On the classic site you have to be added manually as a administrator by an existing administrator. Your calling as ward clerk doesn't automatically grant you any additional rights on the classic site. That is most likely why you don't see any of the options described.

Also, you have to go to the stake website. It's not available to the ward admins.

Return to “Membership Help”