Deleting Youth Leadership names

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Forrest-p40

Deleting Youth Leadership names

Post by Forrest-p40 »

i'll try to be brief.....

our Ward has a Spanish Branch that has youth attending our YM & YW who also have leadership positions in our Ward... the problems i'm having are:

1. if i request the Spanish Branch's individual names so that their records appear on our Ward records (so that i can add them in leadership positions, i.e. Beehive President etc), it then appears as them being a Head of Household. this means they now appear on the EQ Home Teaching list (which we do NOT want to happen), but if i don't request their records to my Ward...

2. i can't add their names to leadership positions.. the only way i can do it (and it is hokie), is instead of adding them as a President, i have to add them as : "Pres. Chatty Kathy".. so in other words, i have to make a custom position with their name in it (hope i made sense lol). it doesn't allow you to add a name in a position unless their records are in your Ward.

anyhoo, any help would be appreciated.

thank you
forrest
opee

Post by opee »

Forrest wrote:i'll try to be brief.....

our Ward has a Spanish Branch that has youth attending our YM & YW who also have leadership positions in our Ward... the problems i'm having are:

Just to clarify:

(a) You have two MLS files: (1) English Ward & (2) Spanish Branch.
(b) Some YM/YW are youth leaders in the Ward, but are part of the Spanish because their parents attend the Branch.
(c) You want to show the youth leaders on the ward side

BUT
(1) If you move them to the individual to the ward, then they are Head of Household and show up on EQ lists
(2) You can only put them in Leadership with a bogus calling and their name in the same field.

If I am following your question correctly, then my suggestion would be to create an "Out of Unit Member" in the Ward MLS. This will allow you to enter the youth that attend the ward as "temporary" members of the Ward (but their actual record stays in the Branch). You will need their membership information to enter all of their data in, but once they are added as "Out of Unit Member", then you can add them into leadership positions in the Ward.

I think the only other way is to move the records, but that does not give an accurate picture of what is happening. We use the Out of Unit Member in our Stake when members from one Ward are assigned to a Branch to support the Branch. I see this as the same situation.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

opee wrote:If I am following your question correctly, then my suggestion would be to create an "Out of Unit Member" in the Ward MLS. This will allow you to enter the youth that attend the ward as "temporary" members of the Ward (but their actual record stays in the Branch). You will need their membership information to enter all of their data in, but once they are added as "Out of Unit Member", then you can add them into leadership positions in the Ward.

Unfortunately (at least for this specific request), members added as "Out of Unit Members" still have to be in a household, so each YM/YW added as an out of unit member would be his/her own head of household, and would still show up on home teaching lists. But it seems to me that they could all be assigned to one special companionship to get them off the "Households not assigned to be home taught" list.

In my experimentation with the MLS test data, it doesn't appear that out of unit members actually affect the home teaching statistics -- the base number of households for the quarterly report seems to be calculated from actual member households (where the records are in the ward). I assume it would be the same with live data.

So all in all, it does appear that "Out of Unit Member" is the way to go for this situation.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Forrest, we had the problem in our stake for years. We finally got the branch large enough that joint YM, YW and Primary was no longer needed.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

Alan_Brown is right. The out of unit member records are the way to go in this situation.

Return to “Membership Help”