Full-time missionary on Visiting Teaching route?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
msonners

Full-time missionary on Visiting Teaching route?

Post by msonners »

I have searched the forums and could not find an answer to my question.

I have received several emails from the relief society asking why our newly reported full-time missionary sister (2 months ago) is still showing up on her route assignment list. A week ago it appeared that she had come off that list but is now back on it. How is this supposed to work? I assume that full-time missionaries are not supposed to be assigned home or visiting teachers. Is there a way for me to remove her from the VT list? The missionary does show up under our "full-time missionary" list. This is the same for our other sister missionary.

We also have an elder who is out so I tried to make some comparisons to his record. I found that the "Individual" tab under his member information on LCR shows that he has home teachers assigned to him. However, when I go to the home teaching tab and look at the companionship listed for him, it has his whole family listed. There is no separate home teaching listing for him like there is for our two sister missionaries that are out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Full-time missionary on Visiting Teaching route?

Post by russellhltn »

The last I heard, out-of-unit members could be not assigned as teacher or teachee. However, if their membership records are in the ward, then they probably can be assigned and taught - even if they are on a mission.

Note that these rules came into effect when HT/VT was transferred to LCR. Some assignments that didn't comply with the new rules might have transferred from MLS and are still there.

Note that HT is by households, VT is by individuals.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It may be a bug in the system or it may be by design – I'm not sure – but you could consider assigning a visiting teacher who would contact her each month by letter or email to see how she's doing!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
msonners

Post by msonners »

Ok thank you. I was trying to find out if this is a bug or if it is intended. If it is intended, then I can ease the Relief Society president's mind and tell her to go ahead and put them on a letter route. If it is a bug and it is not intended that missionaries are assigned HT/VT then I can submit a bug report or something and tell the RS president not to worry about contacting them each month.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'd suggest submitting a bug report using the Feedback link on Leader and Clerk Resources, and one of the developers should be able to let you know if it's by design. Then post back here when you find out! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We never did get an answer on if the missionary is serving in the ward, from the ward, or both.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If the missionary is serving from the ward, she is not available to be a visiting teacher or to be assigned to be visited. If there is an existing assignment (either to teach or be taught), you can remove her from that assignment and then she should not be listed on the listed of unassigned sisters.
msonners

Post by msonners »

Oh sorry, both the sister missionaries are from the ward and serving in mission fields outside the state. I did submit a bug report but have not yet heard back.

The RS president said she was showing up on the "unassigned list" which is why she was asking me what to do with the name. I can maybe try removing the name from my end and see if something different happens.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I only see one sister missionary on the list of full-time missionaries from your ward (Organizations > Full-Time Missionaries). From what I saw when checking, she is listed correctly in the visiting teaching application. I don't see her on the unassigned list.
msonners

Post by msonners »

Oh wonderful, it looks like pulling her off the District supervisor's list allowed her to be binned correctly. I think she was on the "unassigned" list briefly but was then pulled off possibly the next day?

The other sister is a recent move in to the ward (her family anyway). We requested at the beginning of this week for financial responsibility to be transferred to our ward from her previous home ward. As I understand it, once this request is completed on Church HQ's end she will show up on our Full-Time missionary list.

So to sum up, sister missionaries from our ward serving elsewhere should show up on the Full-time missionary list and should not have a VT assigned to them. She will then show up as "unassigned" under the individual tab on her membership record but not show up on the "unassigned" list. This is how it is working now anyway. Thank you for the help, I will send our RS President a followup email to close out this action item.

Return to “Membership Help”