Accessing Record for Child of Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pvtmathis

Accessing Record for Child of Record

Post by pvtmathis »

We have a child of record listed on his mothers records who was just baptized. For some reason the child is not listed on the Ward membership list, but he is listed on his mothers record. When I try to open the child's record in MLS to record the baptism, (from his mothers record), the Child Information field comes up but it is gray and will not let me open the child's record. I thought perhaps the record had not been moved into the Ward with his mothers, but when I tried to request his records on LDS.org the request was kicked back with an insufficient information error message, even though I included the child's membership number and verified that his birth date was correct. Where do I go from here?
eblood66

Re: Accessing Record for Child of Record

Post by eblood66 »

pvtmathis wrote:We have a child of record listed on his mothers records who was just baptized. For some reason the child is not listed on the Ward membership list, but he is listed on his mothers record. When I try to open the child's record in MLS to record the baptism, (from his mothers record), the Child Information field comes up but it is gray and will not let me open the child's record. I thought perhaps the record had not been moved into the Ward with his mothers, but when I tried to request his records on LDS.org the request was kicked back with an insufficient information error message, even though I included the child's membership number and verified that his birth date was correct. Where do I go from here?
The information you are seeing on the mother's record does not mean the child has a record. It's just personal information for the mother. The 'membership' number you are seeing is likely an administrative number which is used for technical reasons in the church's systems but doesn't represent an actual membership record.

Since you've tried to request the child's record and verified that you used the correct membership number and birthdate I think you can be confident that a record has not been created. But if you want to be absolutely sure, you could contact local unit support and ask them to also do a search.

But assuming there is no record, you can use the Membership > Ordinances > Child without Record Baptism to create a record and record the baptism. Once the child has a record you may see the child listed twice on his mother's record. If so, you'll need to delete the version that doesn't link to the new record.

Return to “Membership Help”