Need to fix members records!!!

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Need to fix members records!!!

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:Record Civil Marriage worked just fine for me on the test installation, whether or not the person had a current spouse.
I just played with it again. I was trying to record the marriage by first selecting the wife (who did not have a marriage entered) and then selecting/entering the husband. At least for me that did not work on two levels. First, the husband is not available to select (presumably because he already has a marriage entered). Second, even if I enter all of the husband's information manually, it complains that the husband is already married and that I must first terminate that marriage.

However, I tried it the other way around and selected the husband first and then selected the wife it worked and overwrote the already entered information on the husbands record and added it to the wife's.

So, yes, Record Civil Marriage does work but with the caveat that it must be done from the side which already has the marriage incorrectly recorded.
aebrown wrote:And I never suggested that the HUSBAND's marriage should be terminated first -- I only suggested that the WIFE's marriage should be terminated, since HER record has her married to her first husband, not to the second (current). I specifically said that the edit function should be used to correct a problem with an existing marriage, which would apply to the husband.
No, I didn't mean to imply that you did suggest that. My comment was to say that I didn't think terminating the husbands marriage was a good way to get around the problem I was seeing with using the Record Civil Marriage option.
cguzman

Post by cguzman »

Hello, just wanted to say thank you very much. Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my first post or even after. New to the calling and still a little nervous around computer and specially records. I was able to fix it. Had to terminate both marriages, once that was done it was just a matter of registering their wedding with the correct information. The new household is now created and they are happy to be one in our records. Just to clarify her previous husband was not a member of the church, so there was no temple ordinance. Thanks for all your help!!!!! :)
kaptken

Post by kaptken »

Somebody got into mls and recorded a death, but the person is very much alive. Since I no longer have access to her records, how do I correct this error?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kaptken wrote:Somebody got into mls and recorded a death, but the person is very much alive. Since I no longer have access to her records, how do I correct this error?
I'd call Local Unit Support.

I'd also do an audit of the MLS users and privileges. At this point with HT/VT on the web and not in MLS, I'm not sure as quorums and auxiliaries need access to MLS any more. But even if they do, their logins should NOT have Edit Membership rights. In fact, I'd argue that no one other than the bishop, ward clerk and membership clerks should have Edit Membership rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kaptken wrote:Somebody got into mls and recorded a death, but the person is very much alive. Since I no longer have access to her records, how do I correct this error?
You'll need to contact LUS (Local Unit Support) and provide them sufficient information to identify the person (at least full name and birthdate, mrn if you have it) and let them know what happened. They should be able to make the correction and send the records back to your unit.
kaptken

Post by kaptken »

Thanks for your help. It will be nice for her to know that she is not dead.

Return to “Membership Help”