Change in procedures for voiding checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Change in procedures for voiding checks

Post by aebrown »

With MLS 3.4.1, the status of checks will now accurately affect whether the check has cleared or not. If the check has cleared the bank, it will have a status of "Cleared"; if it has not yet been cashed, it will have a status of "Issued."

Because of this change, the requirement to call Local Unit Support before voiding a check has changed. As long as you have done a Send/Receive to make sure that the check still has an "Issued" status; you can void the check in MLS if it is to be replaced without calling LUS. This makes sense, since the reason we had to call LUS in such situations was to make sure the check had not cleared since the last financial statement. Now we can handle those situations ourselves.

I was aware of the change in making the check status accurately reflect whether the check had cleared or not. But tonight was the first time since the release of MLS 3.4.1 that I had to void a lost check in order to issue a replacement, and the analyst at LUS informed me of this change in procedure.

Of course, as with all second-hand reports of procedure changes, you are welcome to trust this information or verify it yourself, but I thought I'd share the information, since I haven't seen it posted here on LDSTech or seen any MLS message or other announcement.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This is all correct while a check is out standing or "issued". In the U.S. at 180 days the check will be automatically eshceated. Once that happens the check cannot be voided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”