Paper Manuals

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tortdog

Paper Manuals

Post by tortdog »

We were discussing today the distribution of paper manuals. Seems we have guidance in the past that every member (even inactive) should receive RS/MP manual. That's a huge hit on our budget (and honestly we don't give to all the inactive).

Question is can we skip the manuals for people who don't need one because they are digital? Any further guidance on this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:We were discussing today the distribution of paper manuals. Seems we have guidance in the past that every member (even inactive) should receive RS/MP manual. That's a huge hit on our budget (and honestly we don't give to all the inactive).

Question is can we skip the manuals for people who don't need one because they are digital? Any further guidance on this?

It seems to me that the relevant quote is found in the Instructions for Curriculum 2012, page 6 (there are similar quotes in Handbook 2, sections 7.8.1 and 9.4.1):
Elders quorum, high priests group, and Relief Society leaders see that all members age 18 and older receive a copy of the book Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith for their personal study, regardless of whether they are able to attend their meetings. Leaders encourage those who attend to bring their copies of the book and, where possible, their personal copies of the scriptures.
There is no requirement that you purchase a paper copy; only that each member receive a copy.
  • I highlight the word "receive" to note that there is no point in purchasing a paper copy that a person does not actually receive. You're certainly not required to purchase any manuals that no one ever receives. But nonetheless, there is a requirement to see that all members do receive a copy.
  • I highlight the word "copy" because that word could certainly be interpreted to include a digital copy. If a member has received a digital copy, you have satisfied the requirement.
So I don't know where you received "guidance in the past that every member (even inactive) should receive RS/MP manual"; if it is a local priesthood leader, then you certainly should discuss the matter with them. If it is simply an interpretation of the guideline I quoted, you may want to reconsider your interpretation of that guideline.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Even if you do try to give a paper copy to every member, you may not be able to reach every inactive member. So you probably should adjust your ordering to reflect that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

tortdog wrote:We were discussing today the distribution of paper manuals. Seems we have guidance in the past that every member (even inactive) should receive RS/MP manual. That's a huge hit on our budget (and honestly we don't give to all the inactive).

My opinion is it must be left up to the member. I think you need to offer them a manual and if they say they don't want one because they are digital, then fine.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”