Delete Old Statements (soft)?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Delete Old Statements (soft)?

Post by ckmcdonald »

Due to lack of attention mostly, my Statements screen in MLS has every statement I've received since Jan 2007 listed, ... as well as quarterly allocation notices, etc.

There is a way to "remove" them - I just never have.
Is there any reason to keep the older entries around?

These soft copies aren't subject to the "current +3 yr" retention policy are they? My signed hard-copy of each statement is filed away as is required.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:Is there any reason to keep the older entries around?
Not really. These are the same reports that were mailed to you in the old days. If you have printouts, the soft copies are just taking up space on your hard drive, and making all your backups bigger.
ckmcdonald wrote:These soft copies aren't subject to the "current +3 yr" retention policy are they? My signed hard-copy of each statement is filed away as is required.

I haven't looked recently, but I'm surprised that you have 2007 statements. I would have expected the 2007 statements to have been cleaned out back in January -- all your 2007 transactions disappeared then.

But in any case, I see no reason why you have to keep both an electronic and paper copy of a document. If you have a paper copy filed away (which for most of the documents is required, since they have to be signed), then the electronic copy can be deleted.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

aebrown wrote:I haven't looked recently, but I'm surprised that you have 2007 statements. I would have expected the 2007 statements to have been cleaned out back in January -- all your 2007 transactions disappeared then.
Yes, I thought the same thing when I scrolled down and saw the 2007 statements. I figured they would have been removed with the rest of the 2007 data.

Thanks for the feedback.... I think I'll go in and remove all statements 2010 and older.

Rhetorically, I wonder if the "Request a Statement" feature will retrieve any of these older statements after I remove them?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I also had 2007. No reason to keep them. Even if you don't have hard copies (which you should), if you find yourself needing one you do not have, you can always request it using the button on the bottom left of the finance statement screen,

Return to “Local Unit Finance”