One check from multi categories?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: One check from multi categories?

Post by Gary_Miller »

The only problem I have with it is it appears the Stake is funding the camp from funds which is held back from the wards. The handbook is very clear in uses the term "ward budget" and "Bishop" when it comes to determining if there is sufficient funds to cover the costs.

I have always had a problem with the stake taking budget allowance from the wards to fund camps as it takes options away from the bishops on funding camps. It makes more sense for the stake camp leaders to determine the individual participant cost for camp and then assess this cost to the wards. That way the wards can determine whether they can fund all the cost from the LUBA, individual participant sharing, fund raiser, or all three options. Of course this would mean that the stake does not hold the cost of camp from the ward budget allowance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: One check from multi categories?

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:I'm not a big fan of the line 'earns her money and pays her fee' as the handbook very specifically mentions paying fees for participating in church is a no-no.
If we're talking about the one annual camp, then the handbook very specifically mentions this very option as what is to be done if budget funds are insufficient: "If the ward budget does not have sufficient funds to pay for the following activities, leaders may ask participants to pay for part or all of them." See Handbook 2, Section 13.2.8. You're right that paying fees for participation is generally a no-no, but this is a specific exception mentioned in the handbook to that general policy.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”